IGNORED

Oil under pan

260zinsd

ya its really hard to see from the pictures.. but i agree with these 2. that looks almost exactly where its comming from. or maybe out of the area where the shift rod is and then dripping down on the drive shaft. but more likely to be your rear seal

Thank you

ya its really hard to see from the pictures.. but i agree with these 2. that looks almost exactly where its comming from. or maybe out of the area where the shift rod is and then dripping down on the drive shaft. but more likely to be your rear seal

I got up under today and it seems like it's coming right under shift boot,is there a seal there?

Main is leaking a little,but under shift boot is worse..

I have also seen g'box oil come out the shifter opening - but under competition (rallying) conditions only.

The box isn't overfull is it? That might be a cause of oil coming out around the shifter

The spinning driveshaft can throw oil everywhere including up.

Edited by olzed

What's the best transmission oil to use and how much is needed? Thanks

The box isn't overfull is it? That might be a cause of oil coming out around the shifter

The spinning driveshaft can throw oil everywhere including up.

I have also seen g'box oil come out the shifter opening - but under competition (rallying) conditions only.

ya the reason i brought that up is i used to do major 4x4ing before i got into the Z's and that was a really common issue with manual 4x4 trannies like on my 97 jeep tj and on my 88 suzuki samurai.

so i knew it was at least possible.

and yes there should be some kind of seal that goes with the mechanism that holds the shift rod down.

if your not racing it or anything id check to see if its over full first and if it isnt then id check the rod, you should be able to check it from inside of the car taking the boot off and looking down.

(thats how ive always done it)

unless this is a automatic tranismission then you might have some valve issues or pump issues (im not a auto tranny guy so im not sure)

Edited by Shade133

What's the best transmission oil to use and how much is needed? Thanks

if its a manual tranny use 80-90 weight gear old.. and its simple to fill it up.

every car takes a different ammount and i dont know what our datsuns take but there is a filler hole and a drain hole. open the filler hole and if nothing comes out its not over full. if some starts drizzling out consistantly then its full.

if nothing comes out just start pumping oil in there until it starts consistantly drizzling out then plug it up with the plug and wipe everything off.

you might just need to drain your oil and fill it back up again. the oil could be so broken down its just thin and getting by the shift rod seal.