IGNORED

Fuel pump wire connections

reddie73

Removed electric fuel pump from my 1977 280 Z . I put the pump back on and connected the green wire to larger terminal and black wire to smaller terminal on the pump. I also put a clear filter between the gas tank and the inlet line to the fuel pump. The car is not wanting to start and I'm wondering if I have the two wires connected correctly. I can't see any fuel in the filter I installed and wonder also if the fuel pump has to some way be primed since it is a wet type fuel pump. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Couple of things to condsider: Remove the small wire from the starter solenoid on the starter motor. This will keep the starter from running. Then hold the ignition key switch in the start position. The fuel pump should run while the key is in the start position. You can then troubleshoot the fuel pump circuit.

Another item: make sure the clear fuel filter is rated for the higher system pressure (~42 psi) that the fuel injected cars use. When I changed the filter on our 78 I wanted a clear filter but couldn't find one that was rated for the pressure and had to use the OEM can type filter.

Thanks for the replies on this. I'll try taking the wire loose from the starter motor. The filter is a Fram G3 and I got this from another part of either this site or another web site. I'll check the filter specs. I'm pretty sure the post I got the filter information from was regarding fuel injected z's , but I'll check this also. I also have the rear on jack stands and thought I might need to add more fuel to the tank. The gauge shows a little under half a tank.

I disconnected the wire on the starter and turned the key to start, the fuel pump worked. I also took the boot off the AFM and moved the flapper then turned the key on and the fuel pump works. Took the fuel filter off I had installed and put new fuel hose on and still will not start after cranking for about 30 seconds. The car was running well before taking the fuel pump off. Maybe I'm not cranking long enough to get the pump filled with fuel. Any other suggestions?

I had the same problem I removed the hose feeding the pump and no gas was coming out to prime the pump. I added more gas to the tank and fuel came out of the hose and the pump was able. to prime. I also added a clear filter between the tank and pump it works fine I don't know if the pressure is high on the suction side? but the fram g3 filter is working and holding up fine.

Removed electric fuel pump from my 1977 280 Z . I put the pump back on and connected the green wire to larger terminal and black wire to smaller terminal on the pump. I also put a clear filter between the gas tank and the inlet line to the fuel pump. The car is not wanting to start and I'm wondering if I have the two wires connected correctly. I can't see any fuel in the filter I installed and wonder also if the fuel pump has to some way be primed since it is a wet type fuel pump. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Any chance the green wire is supposed to go to the small terminal and the black to large? I believe that some DC motors will run backward.

Just something to check, I have an aftermarket pump with + and - markings at the terminals, although difficult to see. I don't know what pump you are using or how it is marked.

I'll check to see on the wire issue as that was what I originally thought could be the problem. I'll hook them up the oposite from what they are now. The fuel pump is the stock fuel pump and I'm guessing it is Nissan. I'm sure the hoses are hooked up correctly. I tried finding a picture showing the wire color hook up on the fuel pump , but haven't found one I could tell the colors.