IGNORED

started gutting my 260 today - PICS!

SmoothZ

hey would it be possible for me to buy ur emergency brake cable???

Probably not since I wasn't planning on getting rid of it.

Probably just the rubber bushing. You could replace it for cheap. You're along way from having to worry about that though.

You the same smoothz as at zoom?

Yep' date=' that's me. Tell me more about this bushing please. :)

I had to laugh at all the debris under your cowl. I had the same exact thing on my '73Z. Took me about an hour to vacuum every thing out. Looked like the car swallowed a tree.

It's a shame that some people will let that happen. I guess circumstances dictate how well one takes care of a car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-BRASS-SHIFTER-BUSHINGS-240Z-260Z-280Z-E-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ110522480912QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

There is a nut on the bottom of the shifter. When you remove this nut and pull up the shifter there will be a rubber bushing there too. Replacing both of these items should tighten up your shifter.

The brass bushings replace stock nylon bushings. I am not using the brass ones yet but I hear they work wonders.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Started working on the 260 again yesterday. I drained the oil and coolant. My god it was old and nasty. I can't believe the oil drain plug is 22mm. I might have to invest in a Fumoto oil drain valve.

I guess it's time to get more serious and pull the engine out and start tinkering, cleaning, looking at the inside of it to see what I need to replace.

I should invest in an engine rebuild kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, after a few weeks off due to shoulder surgery and what not, I'm back in to the old girl. I was watching SpeedTV this morning and couldn't stand to watch the hot rod shows where they talk about rebuilding a car from the ground up. I decided it was time to get out to the garage, spend some quality time with my oldest son, and enjoy the nice weather we were having.

What did we do? Took out the alternator (tested it - failed), took out a bunch of hoses to try and get some more engine room, tried to take off the oil filter (damn thing is stubborn), took out the spark plugs and wiring, and took off those little hood thingy's (sorry, I don't know what it's called).

On with the pics!

260Zenginebreakdown001.jpg

260Zenginebreakdown003.jpg

260Zenginebreakdown004.jpg

260Zenginebreakdown005.jpg

260Zenginebreakdown006.jpg

260Zenginebreakdown007.jpg

I had a soccer game to coach/officiate on Saturday morning. I ended up doing a ton of stuff around the house after the morning game.

I borrowed a tool from my neighbor, but it was too small to clamp around the filter. I will take your suggestion and put it to good use. Maybe that'll help loosen it up. I think the previous person who changed the oil tightened it too hard.