IGNORED

started gutting my 260 today - PICS!

SmoothZ

My 2nd week of putsing around with the 260Z, and it just gets more fun and I'm still sane.

I started yesterday by taking out some really easy carpeting that was rotted, plus I looked it over to plan my next day. So I wake up today and know that I'm going to be washing the car. It's spray painted black, but I can't stand dirty cars anyway, so I had to get all the dirt and grime and dust off that I could. It's raining, which is cool because I want the rain to wash all the gunk away as I clean the car.

Eventually, I'm done washing it and let it drip dry. No point in wasting MF towels or waffle weave on this sad beast. Now on with the pics.

I had the help of another Z enthusiast. It's nice to have handy people who like working on cars.

BEFORE:

shopping004.jpg

AFTER:

260cleaning001.jpg

260cleaning002.jpg

260cleaning003.jpg

Driver's side (pretty bad with rust that just doesn't stop:

260cleaning004.jpg

260cleaning005.jpg

260cleaning006.jpg

We also suspected that something had been living in the air ducts of the car. We were right.

260cleaning010.jpg

260cleaning011.jpg

260cleaning014.jpg

To be continued....

I put everything that I thought was important back in the car until I can find better storage for it. I'll probably need another work bench to put all that stuff on. Otherwise, I kinda like the 'clean' look of a gutted interior. It looks way better than when I had the carpeting and what not in there.

I threw a lot of the nasty stuff away. Dash is not doing so well, IMHO. The top is severely cracked, and the cubby hole for the glove box is crushed upwards which squeezed the box.

I'm going to sift through all the parts I took out and see what I can sell. A lot of it is original parts which still work.

smooth,

I just picked up a Z as well, here in socal. I am going to be gutting the interior soon to find out just how bad the rust is. I dont think its quite as bad as yours, yet im being told to find a better candidate already by other board members. What are your intentions with yours? How is your rear hatch and quarters? How is your roof?

Im just trying to guage what others are undertaking, and what they are letting go to scrap to find out how bad my damage really is.

My rear hatch is perfect. No damage at all. Roof looks good, too. Basically, everything from the rear quarters back looks good.

Here's a pic, but I can take better ones if you need them.

shopping010.jpg

I plan on cutting out the floors. The engine is a mess, but that's more grease and zip ties and bad wires than anything else.

shopping015.jpg

2ndday008.jpg

I did notice this, though. I'm guessing that's just surface rust on the frame behind the front wheels.

shopping007.jpg

shopping006.jpg

shopping008.jpg

shopping009.jpg

It's funny you should say that. I feel a bit unsafe in the car, hence it's not being driven. Came straight into the garage for some serious 'surgery.' I'm taking it slowly so I don't frustrate myself.

• 1 month later...

I could use a new dash, obviously, but I also want a new and better steering wheel.

BTW, the stick shift is loose. Has anyone else taken it off and added washers on each side of the pin to make it tighter? Does that make sense?