Leaking heater core hoses - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Leaking heater core hoses

Featured Replies

I have discovered leaking coolant coming from the heater core hoses. Do I need to drain the coolant to replace these hoses? Any other hints would be appreciated

Thanks

I have discovered leaking coolant coming from the heater core hoses. Do I need to drain the coolant to replace these hoses? Any other hints would be appreciated

Thanks

Yes, you have to drain the cooling system. Well, actually the choice is to drain the system INTENTIONALLY, or to pull the hoses off first and take a bath in antifreeze. Personally I prefer the former.

Or use a pair of vice-grips, one on each hose.

Problem is that many of these hoses are ancient and the vice grips may crack what you have.

Like Walter says, drain it first. Even then you'll have some spillage onto the floor, so keep some rags handy.

E

  • Author

Thanks for the advice.

Colin

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.