IGNORED

heater control panel replacement

Davis

I thought I would post what I went through to replace the heater control panel on my 72 with a new 73 panel. I am sure others have done.

- the 73 panel will fit into the dash opening of the 72 but the 72 parts will not fit onto it

- you will need a 73 lever slide bracket - it was too wide to fit into the dash and had to be cut back at one side by my local machinist.

- you will need a 73 cowl that goes behind the rotary vent - its slightly different than the 72

- I removed the cables from the 72 bracket and installed them on the the 73 slide bracket.

- you will need a 73 fan switch since the 72 is too short to fit through the slide bracket and reach the front of the panel. I reused the 72 knob since the 73 was a little different.

- the 73 has backlights behind the panel that i didnt install since the 72 had none.

- I havent hooked the cables up yet at other end but it looks like they will fit

be careful and the new panel will scratch easily - do all work on top of a soft towel

Of the people that have done the 73 HCP change over, AFAIK all have done it to gain the illumination on the HCP's face.

Connecting the extra bulbs shouldn't be a problem as there are a couple of extra connections back there on the dash harness that you can either use as is, or connect two or more leads to. (AT gear selector bulb for one)

Unfortunately you had a hard time of it by piecing the "kit" one item at a time. Best advice for others is to obtain the 73 HCP COMPLETE, and include the bellows you refer to. The complete assy. should include the cabling, the light shrouds, the bulb holders and wiring as well as the knobs on the levers and rotary switch.

FWIW

E

E - do you still want me to send that antenna switch? - if so pm me your zip code then - not sure about duty on used car parts but I at least get a cost on shipping UPS

Dave

E - do you still want me to send that antenna switch? - if so pm me your zip code then - not sure about duty on used car parts but I at least get a cost on shipping UPS

Dave

Dave: If you are sending to the US, just use Canada Post and put "antique car parts" on the form. There will be no duty charged.

Dan