IGNORED

started body work on my 280

grantf

welding is actually pretty easy. I used a small 120 volt Lincoln mig welder, gas is a must, if you practice on some scrap pieces to start and remember that heat will warp the metal so go slow and skip around a little. It also helped that I work with a machine and weld guy that gave me advice from time to time.

wet sanding, wet sanding, wet sanding. then I got home from work today and started wet sanding in the rain and noticed something not quite right in my driveway.... @#!!#@ some A-HOLE STOLE MY #@!$ING AIR COMPRESSOR :mad::mad::mad::angry::angry::mad::mad::tapemouth :tapemouth

Edited by grantf

• 1 month later...

Good news I have a place to paint my car. Nice warm loading dock! Most likely I will trailer the car sometime next week. And as a bonus I might have a professional body and paint guy on hand for help with gun setup and spraying!

Probably going to go with PPG. Life is good.

Glad to see the great progress you are making and looking forward to the finished result. With your DIY skillz I predict another Z project (or two...) in your future!

I've used the PPG Omni line on a few cars now, all with great results. The only thing I did different was to start by spraying MP176 etch primer on the bare metal. The 2nd step I sprayed the 2K primer/surfacer and sanded it down to get a nice, smooth & flat surface. 3rd step I sprayed it with epoxy primer. No sanding done after that, as it went on nice & smooth. 4th step sprayed the color coat. 5th step sprayed the clear coat. 6th step wet sanded the car with 1000/1500/2000 grit in stages. 7th step polished the CC to a nice shine with a Makita buffer, Shlegel wool buff and 3M Perfect It rubbing compound. Damn near looks like the paint is covered with glass!

Too bad about your air compressor. At least they didn't take your Z!

Glad to see the great progress you are making and looking forward to the finished result. With your DIY skillz I predict another Z project (or two...) in your future!

I've used the PPG Omni line on a few cars now, all with great results. The only thing I did different was to start by spraying MP176 etch primer on the bare metal. The 2nd step I sprayed the 2K primer/surfacer and sanded it down to get a nice, smooth & flat surface. 3rd step I sprayed it with epoxy primer. No sanding done after that, as it went on nice & smooth. 4th step sprayed the color coat. 5th step sprayed the clear coat. 6th step wet sanded the car with 1000/1500/2000 grit in stages. 7th step polished the CC to a nice shine with a Makita buffer, Shlegel wool buff and 3M Perfect It rubbing compound. Damn near looks like the paint is covered with glass!

Too bad about your air compressor. At least they didn't take your Z!

No kidding, I am happy to still have the z, the air compressor was two feet from it when it was rolled away. Zs-Ondabrain gracefully donated his old compressor to me, that I am forever grate full to (thanks again man).

My car is in primer epoxy and 2k wet sanded down to 600.

Edited by grantf