IGNORED

Found a stroker for sale, should I?

I've read quite a few buildups now and still have one more question before i buy this short block. (BTW: my goal is to reach 250RWHP and 250LBTQ)

Can i build this stroker in 2 stages?

• 1st stage being simply to swap my stock block with the strocker block (use 2mm head gasket if i need to) and use my stock EFI setup?

• 2nd stage once i have more funds to get my custom headwork done like port/polish, aftermarket fuel delivery and hopefully a Ford EDIS system.

Setting yourself power and torque figures you think you need is always a recipe for disappointment.

What, if after spending heaps, you have only 220rwhp? Will you be happy with that or feel like something is still missing? Don't do it man. Read heaps, like you've done and be happy with your end product. If it puts a smile on your face, does it matter, really, how much power or torque the dyno says you have????

Another way of looking at it is that a 3.1 is inherently a torque monster as you know. Very little is needed to enhance that characteristic. Stock heads and cams foster low rpm torque. Big revs, cams and heads are needed to achieve the power levels you seek and consider all the associated expenses with building a high rev / high horsepower engine.

A P79 head will work but don't wreck your quench by using a too thick HG. See if you could possibly get some chamber work done to drop your compression ratio down a bit if needed and use a stock thickness HG. Have you calculated your anticipated C.R. yet? Then factor in what type of fuel you'll be using and what efi/ignition setup you'll run too. Lots to consider....have fun! And finally,

Torque is cheap, power is expensive. LOL .

I think i remember his add over at hybridz, the engine was a high school project and one of the cylinders needed a sleeve installed. This could be a total diffrent person so please take this as fyi and not fact. However the price is great if the correct machine work and balanceing has been done.

Rex

REXZ you are correct. I found out that the student did most of the work and the sleeve in the cylinder is not what i'm looking for. plus they used a N42 block which is fine (according to this thread) but i have and want to use my F54 block. I'm going to make an offer for only the parts and hopefully go from there.

• 5 weeks later...

If you havent read it, head over to hybridZ and check out a sticky post in the L6 engine section.

Title of thread: "NA 3.1L=>head & camshaft questions. No shortcuts, max".

Shooting for a horsepower goal is usually suggested when planning mods, but sometimes, you end up disappointed until you spend even more and more money. Initial dyno after the stroker build for that member was in the 170 whp range!!! I think he is around 260 now, but that was after serious $$$ having his head built by rebello (I think it was rebello).

Regardless, I have not dynoed my stroker...but I do know it has enough power to snap 2 u-joints (driveshaft and halfshaft) on the starting line at the local dragstrip and it puts the biggest sh!t eating grin on my face when I drop the hammer. Thats good enough for me.

Edited by TBone028