IGNORED

Front brake rotors

Pomorza

Hello all

I finally have time to redo the front brakes on my 280z. In short the caliper on the right wheel is riding the wheel the entire time. The left caliper sticks occasionally. So I ordered a new set of calipers along with rotors.

According to the manual I have to remove the rotor I have to remove the hub assembly, which contains the outer wheel bearing. I've never done this before so I'm rather in need of an explanation of how it should be done. Should I replace this bearing while I have everything apart?

Thanks

Jan

There's a lot of good stuff on this website about brakes and bearings, and other stuff. For bearings, see http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/frontwheelbearings/index.html

My thoughts are to replace the inner and outer bearings while you have it all apart. They are cheap, and available from local parts stores. You'll have piece of mind.

Your next question is going to be if you should do the Toyota brake caliper upgrade. I didn't do it, because I don't track my car, and the stock ones are actually pretty good for street use. My rotors needed replacing, so I did replace my rotors with some drilled and slotted ones from R1Concepts, and replaced my flexible lines with stainles steel ones from MSA. It seems like my pedal feel is better, due to the new lines, and the drilled/slotted rotors just look neat.

Matt

Edited by ConchZ

There's a lot of good stuff on this website about brakes and bearings, and other stuff. For bearings, see http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/frontwheelbearings/index.html

My thoughts are to replace the inner and outer bearings while you have it all apart. They are cheap, and available from local parts stores. You'll have piece of mind.

Your next question is going to be if you should do the Toyota brake caliper upgrade. I didn't do it, because I don't track my car, and the stock ones are actually pretty good for street use. My rotors needed replacing, so I did replace my rotors with some drilled and slotted ones from R1Concepts, and replaced my flexible lines with stainles steel ones from MSA. It seems like my pedal feel is better, due to the new lines, and the drilled/slotted rotors just look neat.

Matt

Matt you are the man. Thanks a ton for that. I was on that site earlier this morning and I guess I completely skipped that section. I'm sticking with the stock calipers and drilled and slotted rotors at this point. I don't "track" my car but I do go driving around the mountains here in Arizona so brakes are kind of important. Do have one questions. What grease did you use for the bearings? Would white lithium grease work fine or is there a specific type I should look for?

Jan

Do NOT use white lithium.

Any auto parts store will have bearing grease, whether regular or synthetic.

You need a grease that will withstand higher temps.

Lithium is good for lubricating parts like hinges, hood latches etc.