IGNORED

Speakers for 280z

C Gra Z

Has anyone got any suggestions about speakers for a 280z? My husband got me 2 box speakers for Xmas a couple of years ago. They sound fine but they really take up a lot of space. I saw some that are built into the back of a 240z but the back of the 240 is deeper. Help!

I don't know if the side panels in the 280 are the same as the 240, but here's my setup, it might work for you.

I fab'ed kick boxes that are installed just in front of the doors on the side panels. They attached directly to the interior panel. The box measures 6"x6"x1-3/4" and holds a 5-1/4" coax. It was made as follows:

6x6x1/4 hardboard, glued to:

6x6x3/4 MDF (with a 5-1/4" cutout), glued to:

6x6x3/4 MDF (with a 4-3/8" cutout),

All covered in the finest black "rat fur".

In all, two boxes took all of 30-45 minutes of actual work (not including drying time for the glue).

With a 3" hole cut in the side panel, you can accommodate a 5-1/4 coax as deep as 2.5 inches (1-3/4 in the box and an additional 3/4" behind the side panel - leaving about 1/2 between the magnet and the fender).

Back by the hatch, I installed a Bazooka powered bass tube. My Alpine head unit has a built-in crossover/HPF, so I don't have a lot of subsystems to make this all work.

It's not the loudest system out there, but it does sound good.

Edited by Gary in NJ

You may want to call MSA and ask if the MSA speaker panel will take up more room in a 280. I'm sure they know the difference of the depths of the two cars.

This is my 240Z with the MSA speaker panel installed. I would not hesitate to do it again. There is more detailed info with my sound system in my garage.

post-14147-14150811123118_thumb.jpg

post-14147-14150811124022_thumb.jpg

Edited by Travel'n Man

I have one of those speaker panels on my '73. Two screws on top and it's out. Actually easier than the old finisher panel with all it's rivets. 2 thunbs up for the panel and the sound from the 6x9s.

Cheers, Mike

Pops, do you have just rear speakers, and nothing in the front? I am debating between having just 6x9 in the rear, or fabbing 5 1/4" speaker enclosures and installing them in the kick panels (little room there unfortunately). Thanks.

At this time I have no speakers in front. I am considering adding a pair of tweeters mounted somewhere in the front to add some fullness to the sound experience. FWIW the sound from the rear 6x9s is very good. I didn't want to cut holes in the door panels, and the kick panels seem pretty far away from my ears, plus I didn't want my size 12 clodhoppers to kick any speakers down there. I have seen others mount their tweeters in the "eyeball" vents in the dash.

Cheers, Mike