Clutch removal - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Clutch removal

Featured Replies

I have a newbie question. As stated in a previous post, I am trying to put my engine on a stand. I want to repaint the block and work on cleaning it up prior to having it rebuilt. The problem is, the clutch needs to be removed before the engine can connect to the stand. How does the clutch come off? Is there a special tool or technique involved? Thanks.

carl

take off the pressure plate.. it will fall out

might want to rethink the order though - if you are getting it rebuilt, you might want to do that after..

Oh, you will need the alignment tool to put it back on..

Edited by lbpdz
forgot to mention the alignment tool

Just unbolt the six or eight bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. The clutch alignment tool is fairly cheap and available from MSA, Nissan, etc. I know that there are people in the Indy Z car club who could loan you one... Like me for example.

  • Author

Thanks Walter,

I may take you up on that. :)

carl

If you're buying a whole new clutch kit, there were a few I've seen that include a plastic tool in the package.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I use an old input shaft.. also makes a nice drift/punch as they are hardened.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.