IGNORED

Suspension bushings to poly or not to poly that is the question?

Chuckak

I am about to replace all original bushings on my 1971 240. The question I have is this, the car, in my minds eye was design perfectly so that said should the bushings be replaced with poly rather than rubber and if so would there be a noticeable degradation in performance? I am thinking not, but just for the sake of argument, what do you'all think?

Do a search, there's a ton of info on the subject. I think the verdict from more than one person was to go with all poly except for a couple of rubber pieces for the tie-rods. Poly will last longer than the original rubber and the car should handle better. I need to do mine, too. They're sitting in a box in the garage. All poly. I'm not sure for you, but like I said, do a search, there's a TON of info.

If you're replacing the originals, the poly will be of course night and day. But than again, new rubber will be night and day.

I know some have complained about the harsher ride with poly.

Since I never really drove mine with the original rubber, please understand my opinion is not completely informed.

However the ride with the new poly does not seem too harsh for me. It seems very controlled but it does transmit a lot of feedback from the road and the suspension.

I happen to prefer that kind of thing.

I could understand the preference for the rubber in the steering column coupler, since I do notice a bit of vibration from the front end.

Edited by mlc240z