IGNORED

Radio Face Plate

Gary in NJ

The radio in my Z doesn't work. I need to replace it (I'm considering the RetroRadio unit) but before I commit to a radio, what I really want to do is get rid of the face plate that is currently installed in the console and replace it with something that's in good shape. The face plate that is in there now looks like it has seen many radios over the decades. There isn't much left to it anymore.

I'll post a picture tonight. I've looked for NOS and reproduction face plates but have come-up empty. Does anyone know of a source or have a good solution?

Bought faceplate from Retro-Sound (I believe part# RS-UNIVKT).

$19.90 plus Shipping.

Comes stock rectangle with trapezoidal cutouts for the 240Z.

Haven't installed yet but looks like it might work. Has textured surface which looks better than my homemade plexiglass/painted one.

Here is another option if you want your dash to remain original with the original radio in place

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34630&highlight=retro

Unfortunately I don't have an original radio. It's a Sony tape player from the mid-80's. Something new will take that space, I just don't know what yet.

• 9 months later...

I see a lot of references to the faceplate that comes with the Retrosound unit here, but I haven't seen whether or not one can keep the stock 280Z faceplate and mount the Retrosound unit in it, keeping the antenna.

Has anyone done this? To me, that would be ideal, in that it would look a little less 'blank' around the unit, in addition to keeping the antenna switch.

Thanks for any info!

It seems the unit looks better with the Retrosound faceplate in a 240Z vs. a 280. I got measurements for the Retrosound stereo and the stock 280Z faceplate, and it seems it should fit. I may just have to see if this will work. Of course, my 280Z didn't come with a stock stereo or associated faceplate, so I now need to track one down...

• 8 months later...

Well...I have now obtained a good condition face plate with top antenna mount. Does anyone happen to have a top-mount antenna switch for sale? I'm attempting to place a want ad, but the site either has 'issues' or doesn't like my browser (?). Thanks for any help!