IGNORED

Front Sway Bar Question

tlorber

I installed a 1" MSA front sway bar on my '73 with an L28. There is only about 1/8" of clearance between the bar and the oil pump. Does anyone else out there have this experience? If so, to the two ever contact eachother?

Thanks.

An increase in sway bar diameter should not cause a clearance problem. Although 1/4" spacers may help, I would take a close look for an underlying cause if its too close. It's not unheard of for distortion and weakening at the mounting points on the front frame rails or displacement of the frame rails even. Also, check the motor mounts for any bending or deterioration.

Edited by geezer

When I installed the larger sway bar, I had some additional welds done on the frame rails in that area. I also added plates under the mounts that extend beyound the mount holes to distribute the additional load from the thicker sway bar.

Maybe overkill, but I've read that big sway can damage the frame rails.

ok, thanks guys. 1/4" or so thick plate will be easy enough to cut and drill as a spacer.

I recently had the motor mounts off when doing the front suspension/steering and they looked to be in decent condition.

When I did my restoration back in '03 I found that my larger front sway bar was bending the frame rail and so along with the other parts we started making (frame rails, seat brackets, single point jack plates) we bend up a simple 90 with holes punched to match the frame rails. We sell them shipped to anywhere in the lower 48 for $30.