IGNORED

GRID: 240z Concept

Zealous

I Have not seen this concept before so wanted to share it with you.

A few pictures:

http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/gallery/D_240Z_conc_95__.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/gallery/D_240Z_conc_96__.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/gallery/D_240Z_conc_97__.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/gallery/D_240Z_conc_98__.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/grid/gallery/D_240Z_conc_99__.jpg

Here is a short you tube of the combined images:

I am not sure about the rear as I never did like the 'slats' look but I think overall it is a nice evolution of the S30. Not sure if the thin pillars would pass crash test ratings nowadays but who knows.

What do you think?

Nothing but some guy's napkin drawing rendered as a 3-D model. No engineering behind it at all. Just a lot of, "Hey, wouldn't this look cool!"

Heck yeah, in my garage! I wish they would design a new z like this one to resemble the original car we all love... I guess the 370 is the best they can do for now.

Heck yeah, in my garage! I wish they would design a new z like this one to resemble the original car we all love... I guess the 370 is the best they can do for now.
It's not the best they can do, thats what thier willing to do. Or more so what the bean counters will allow, what the hell do the know about design and concept? Arne you mean it was drawn up without thought to whats behind the sheet metal? Can the exact design, appearance wise, be built and then made to pass engineering wise test and such? For example reinforcing internally the C pillar. Edited by WingZr0

Who knows? I'm not an engineer. But even the simple stuff - is there enough room under the hood for both engine and suspension? How strong are those A-pillars going to be in a roll-over crash test? Will the...

You begin to get the idea, I'm sure. I can sit down and sketch a cool tweaked version of most any car. But that doesn't make it feasible, financially, or engineering-wise. That's all this is, a personal sketch taken to the next sketching level.

Edited by Arne

It's not the best they can do, thats what thier willing to do. Or more so what the bean counters will allow, what the hell do the know about design and concept?
Remember, they're not looking to build a car for a niche market or just for car guys. They're looking to build one with broad scope appeal. We like the design of the 240Z but there are many people who don't even know what it is or even what a Datsun is (was?). That's not really the kind of stuff auto makers would want to base a design on.

I always figured a car that looked cool would sell more than say, a 2010 Sentra? Like back in the day the art form of cars changed every year and sales were up and steady. Then they got cheap, forgot about the fact that ART sells and started cranking out generic looking look alikes year after. IMO every one will buy a "pretty" or "cool" looking car over a egg shape Hybrid. The same amount of sheet metal in a 2010 Sentra can be reformed to look like the concept Z above and still cost the same price. The cost for the same amount of steel will never change no matter what it's shaped into. It's the engine performance and suspension set up that things get pricey. So in short I'd buy a 2010 Nissan Sentra IF it just only looked like that Concept Z.

Edited by WingZr0

You're thinking like a car guy. If that were true they'd never sell Prius's or Focuses, etc. The general public obviously isn't looking for 'cool'. Look at some of the crap you see on the road. It's the rule rather than the exception......

Thats true. But also true people buy cars out of necessity. I thinking more along the classic lines of the 57 ere Chevy's , the Lincoln Zyphers, 40's Buicks and the 60's era Dodge to name a few. At least back then car companies could take pride, point and say "heh look at what we made", and establish a important costumer brand loyalty. The New Z and GT-R we get it they're cool and get thier sales. And your GTO we also get, if it's anything like it was in GT 4; great balance mad power and stupid torque! And obvious design heritage from the Trans Ams.

Edited by WingZr0

An ofthen over looked design would have be the previous generation of the Dodge Avenger. That was a great car and example of how cars should be made today. It had great design, sleek aerodynamic lines, cheap price and bang for your buck performance with that lovely high reving V6. Those could of been made into street racers or cool luxury cruisers, but I have yet to see one done up on the streets or even in a magizine read. So much potential that never for some reason got picked up by the after market nor promoted / marketed well by Dodge.

Edited by WingZr0