IGNORED

Zap Decals

T_Sprenger

I am interested in having a set of Zap decals made. The original owner of the zap I recently purchased had them taken off before taking delivery from the dealership.

I've found a couple pics of the zap online but would appreciate anyone who has access to one getting some measurements and sharing them.

Thanks in advance!

I am interested in having a set of Zap decals made. The original owner of the zap I recently purchased had them taken off before taking delivery from the dealership.

I've found a couple pics of the zap online but would appreciate anyone who has access to one getting some measurements and sharing them.

Thanks in advance!

You should look to find an original set, nut measurements, then take them to a good graphics shop and have them make a vector file. With a vector file just about any place that does vinyl can reproduce the graphics, I think even Kinko's could make them. Once you do that you will never need to look for a set.

For you non-graphics people a vector files uses mathematical lines instead of raster (like dots) to make the shape you can make the file infinitely large without distorting. The downfalls to this file type is thing with fade or processional change don't convert well.

You should look to find an original set, nut measurements, then take them to a good graphics shop and have them make a vector file. With a vector file just about any place that does vinyl can reproduce the graphics, I think even Kinko's could make them. Once you do that you will never need to look for a set.

For you non-graphics people a vector files uses mathematical lines instead of raster (like dots) to make the shape you can make the file infinitely large without distorting. The downfalls to this file type is thing with fade or processional change don't convert well.

I am interested in few sets!!!!! A friend of mine bought a ZAP car, but needs decal. (It has some cracks)

I heard that the decal set was available when the car was new. I wonder if anyone has a set............

post-16910-14150810438532_thumb.jpg

post-16910-1415081043879_thumb.jpg

Edited by esprist

It would take some time, but you could use ones on a car to reproduce a set, the hardest part would be getting the colors correct with a faded set, and finding a scanner to scan a large pieces. Since these were added on top of the paint I'd get some opaque illustration paper (I think that is what they call it, you know the paper used to hand copy an illustrations that you can partially see threw), in sheets large enough to cover each decal section on the car. Then tape them into place in a way that the paper sits tight against the car without moving. Then with a soft pencil (makes great rubbing no #2 hear) do a rubbing of the edge. with rulers and engineering drawing guides draw/trace the graphics with a hard pencil (keeps the line more consistent and easier to erase mistakes). Scan it in and use a graphics software to reproduce the stripes to make the vector file.

esprist, I also know that companies like Fast Signs claim they can reproduce stuff on the car you might want to call around some local graphics places maybe they can help reproduce them.

That would be great...if I could find an original set. I'm not sure that will be possible. That being the case what I need to do is find someone with the Zap edition that I can get good pictures and measurements from.

A NOS Black Pearl decal set was on ebay a few years ago. Nothing's impossible, everything turns up with time. Just have to be patient and keep checking ebay, the entire internet ;) and talk and ask the people you deal with when buying or selling parts. Thats how alot of my leads to rare stuff happens. That and the old folk on Craigslist LOL , :)

Edited by WingZr0

Reproduction might be better than original ,The advances in vinyl striping technology alone are better and the chances of a complete NOS stripe kit surviving 30 plus years are not that great .I have rolls of pinstriping tape ,the same material the Zaap stripes are made of that have not survived 10 years in a climate controlled environment

Reproduction might be better than original ,The advances in vinyl striping technology alone are better and the chances of a complete NOS stripe kit surviving 30 plus years are not that great .I have rolls of pinstriping tape ,the same material the Zaap stripes are made of that have not survived 10 years in a climate controlled environment

It depends on humidity other things when storing stuff like this. I own some vintage Smokey the Bear vinyl stickers from the 60's & 70's even the glue is good on them and nothing is discolored, or hardened. Be sides I think the people on this forum would like to find a set to use as a template to make new ones. You really don't want to make reproductions of reproductions, you will louse detail. If you don't believe you would louse detail get some sketch paper, and copy a simple image, put the original away and make another copy of the copy, throw the first copy away and do this several times then pull out the original.

Actually would not use an original on the car I think they would be more important for reproduction purposes, and I don't think any one on this forum wants to use originals on the car, but they would want them to make reproductions. I know esprist sells reproduction parts who knows he might reproduce them, that would be great his attention to detail is what you would want;)

When you are ready to make the decals, look for a sign shop that does the "Body Wrap" like you see on delivery vehicles. they use the 3M material that can be removed later if you didn't like it. The 3M material is UV proof and easy to apply.

When you are ready to make the decals, look for a sign shop that does the "Body Wrap" like you see on delivery vehicles. they use the 3M material that can be removed later if you didn't like it. The 3M material is UV proof and easy to apply.

I happend to talked to one these "Body Wrap" guys a month ago, and wrapping a whole car cost few thousand dollars!!!!!

And I guess there is a minimum charge for digitizing the graphics....But if 20-3- sets can split out the cost......