Changing ignition key switch - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Changing ignition key switch

Featured Replies

I bought a new ignition key switch and now i noticed there is 2 screws that have no screw slots. Anybody know how to remove them?

Those are the anti-theft screws. The normal heads are designed to break of when you tighten them down the first time. To remove them either drill the heads off, or use a Dremel tool (or similar) to cut a slot for a blade screwdriver into the head.

  • Author

Great idea but how do i get to the top one, the bottom one will be no problem

doing it your way. The top ??????

I've never had a problem getting to either of them in this manner. What's in the way of the top one?

BTW, I deleted your other thread. Don't post the same question in more than one forum.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

OK, you've got me on this one. On all of the Zs I've owned, the screws go straight out away from the driver's side of the steering column. I don't see how the dash could interfere. Can you post a picture of how your switch is oriented?

  • Author

Will do! but late here, will post tomorrow Thanks for your help

I just did mine. I would leave the regular screws in place and tight and remove the anti theft ones first. If you don't you will be "chasing" them all over the steering column.

I bought a little punch and pounded them until I got enough grip for a screw driver. Next time I would get a dremel. It's all about having the right tool.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.