IGNORED

1980 280ZX Distributor

DoctorMuffn

I'm considering buying a 1980 ZX remanned dizzy and new module (Duralast brand) from Autozone here in SoCal. Together they should run me a little over $300 and both units have lifetime warranty. I'm putting it into my '73 240Z.

I did a bit of research last night, and of course I'll do more, but if anyone wants to share their thoughts or even point me to the right thread by posting a link I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking about replacing the Pertronix Ignitor because the low dwell doesn't sit right with me.

Another concern is that—lifetime warranty not withstanding—I've seen far too many E12-80 failures to be totally comfortable with their reliability. I am not aware of any method to "remanufacture" the module, so I suspect that the Duralast module is either a third party repro or a used module that has been cleaned and tested. When I had the E12-80 on my car, I always carried a spare module in the car with me just in case. I never had to use the spare personally, but it was used in a friend's 240Z after a sudden module failure without warning at a Datsun show.

I wasn't happy with the advance curve and total advance when used on a stock L24, either.

You could spend less than a $100.00 and put a Pertronix in your car. Bullet proof really and I am the running stock coil and ballast resistor. One of the very best things I ever did for my 72. And yes, it was after two (2) E-1280 failures. That was just a pain in the behind. You can still buy them new at a Nissan dealer,but it will give you a heart attack for what they want. Pertronix has been in my car for over three years and absolutely no issues whatever. Just my opinion.:classic:

I'm considering the Pertronix myself as an alternative to the 280zx distributor. I'd be using either unit with an aftermarket ignition coil (something like the MSD Blaster2 or equivalent), but I don't plan on using a capacitive discharge box.

All this said, my '72 is already equipped with an L28, so maybe that changes the research I've done a bit...maybe not. I'm a novice to ignition systems, so the more I can learn the better.

You could spend less than a $100.00 and put a Pertronix in your car. Bullet proof really and I am the running stock coil and ballast resistor. One of the very best things I ever did for my 72. And yes, it was after two (2) E-1280 failures. That was just a pain in the behind. You can still buy them new at a Nissan dealer,but it will give you a heart attack for what they want. Pertronix has been in my car for over three years and absolutely no issues whatever. Just my opinion.:classic:

AWESOME!!!

That was an incredible thread of just straight forward swaps and how-to's, BTF/PTM. I'll definitely be looking into that quite a bit more for many of the change overs.

And thanks, Walter Moore. Before I decide between the 280ZX and buying another Pertronix I'll be looking at your curve data and comparing it to that of the dizzy I'm currently running.

Ultimately I just want a reliable runner that I can drive hard on occasion until I swap in the Lexus 1UZ-FE. This is way down the road, but it will happen. It's been my "5 years from now" plan since I blue-printed and rebuilt my 4.0 liter Lex engine in class 3 years ago. It's still my 5 year plan, but the more I learn the closer I feel I'm getting... I even have a decent 220V Harbor Freight welder now. I still have to learn how to use it, but that's the easy part from what I hear. :stupid:

So now I'm waiting to hear what dwells Pertronix users get from their ignitors. This way I might be able to see if I just got a shitty ignitor from the factory or if they all run about half as much dwell as factory specs call for. Apparently I'm not the only one on this forum who's experienced the 4k rpm ceiling dilemma.

Oh, and by the way, I'm running a Frankenstein L28 F54 with an N47 head fed with 4 screw round-tops and all smog equipment blocked, removed, or rendered ineffective.

• 7 months later...

Okay I pulled the trigger and picked up a 1979-'80 280ZX dizzy (which fortunately came with the E12-80 module saving me some cash).

So far I've white-trashed the install. The wiring is clean: A blue jumper with spade and eye-lit connecting the negative side of the coil to the C terminal on the module and a red jumper with like hardware from 12-Volt switched side of ballast to B terminal on the module; simple.

http://www.jrdemers.com/280ZX/distributor/distributor.html

However, without a pedestal I went ahead and zip-tied the distributor in place temporarily to the old pedestal so it keeps somewhat consistant timing and doesn't pop out; nigga-rigged I know. The pedestal is ordered and hopefully on it's way from Memphis to the dealer here in Irvine, CA.

Oh my tach works!!! And the intermittent hesitation I was having which prompted this very recent endeavor is gone... For now anyway.

Thanks again to all. I'll post pix.