IGNORED

Leather seat photos wanted

steve91tt

I recently bought a MSA vinyl cover off of eBay. It was just the seat back piece for $25. The damn thing was not even close in the seams! I sent it back.

You are right those MSA's don't look to be of as good a quality as the factory originals.

Steve, like you, I did not not find a lot of "bad" info posted about certain covers. I have no axe to grind with MSA. But, when a retailer does not show a picture of items on their web site, you gotta wonder....

If you dont care much about original seats, you could go with cloth for the Houston heat. You could put totally different seats in there. Hybridz has a whole seat swap list thread going. One guy over there has some butterscotch color older Recaro LS seats in his. I never was overly fond of that color. But, does that interior look great with those seats! I would seriously consider tapping my retirement fund for those seats! That is, if I can get the rest of the car up to snuff.

Check these puppies out(scroll to post 133)

Impressive! I love the look in a custom car but I am going for more of an "original look". I want the interior and exterior to look like it came that way from the factory in 1973. In other words, In a perfect world, I want to keep my seats looking basically the same but in black leather rather than brown vinyl.

80's vintage BMW 320i recaro seats in pleather fit the Z style very well. I have them in my 280Z. They are HARD to find, expensive, and require some bracket fab.

86583075_txura-L.jpg

Here are my MSA covered 240Z seats that I just finished. I reused the old foam but added some carpet pad foam in the bolsters. Not as nice as the pro ones but...I did it myself.

728620397_368p9-XL.jpg

801805960_K89Fs-XL.jpg

So here's a question - if you are after the "original look", why switch to leather? I can see no advantages to leather over original or well-made vinyl replacements.

I had read on a couple of old threads that the vinyl in these cars is tough to deal with in the summer. If you are saying that the leather has no advantage over the vinyl reproductions then you just saved me a bunch of money!:D

I had read on a couple of old threads that the vinyl in these cars is tough to deal with in the summer. If you are saying that the leather has no advantage over the vinyl reproductions then you just saved me a bunch of money!:D

Steve, the seats in these cars will roast your arse!:tapemouth After all, You do live in Houston, Texas !! (As do I) -I can hear the Ham sizzlin;). I did the MSA leather as I PM'ed to you...I am confused by the appearance of some of the other seats done with a MSA Kit. My kit was fine, perhaps it is the 240 seat covers that don't have good quality control....I don't know.

In an earlier post (you'll need to search), I described getting the seat covers warm before you install. I found this essential in getting a good fit. It is inportant to also smooth out the wrinkles as you go, this will result in a proper fit. Whatever material is used, it will relax after it is installed and again when it is sat upon. I have reupholstered many seats- from a few VW's in highschool to the several Z I have had in the twenty five years since. It just takes some patience and good materials.

I'd say that your approach is the right one, getting advice from everyone on this list is going to help you make an informed decision. Whatever kit you end up with, make sure that you inspect it thouroughly before going any further.

After all, it is your Z and your $$$. If the seams are crappy and it has poor materials - send it back. If your are more comfortable using an Pro Upholsterer, then that is the route to go.

Since you live in the same city as myself, I will be happy to assist you with whatever kit you get - I would encourage new seat foams though -and Beer.

Finally, back in the 90's, I bought a set of real nice Sheepskins for my Z, cool in the summertime/warm in the winter. I loved them! Just a thought.

PM me if you need help.

Yes, the black vinyl is hot in the summer. (And cold in the winter, although I doubt that's much of an issue for you.) But my daily driver has black leather and I can't see that there is any significant difference. If the sun has been baking the seats, either black material is like sitting on a teflon-coated griddle. If I wanted to reduce this problem, I'd move to cloth, not leather. But that doesn't maintain the stock look.

I actually have less problem with sun-baked seats in the Z than I do in the BMW. Since the dash in my Z is uncracked, I never park the car in the sun without a sunshade in the windshield. That helps keep the direct sun off the dash (my primary concern), but also helps with the burning thighs problem as well.

I bought a set of real nice Sheepskins for my Z, cool in the summertime/warm in the winter. I loved them! Just a thought.

Sheepskin! There's a thought. After all, sheep are made of leather.

I'm thinking I would have to install an 8-track, a chain link steering wheel hydraulic suspension, red metallic paint and white walls to complete the look. Probably more work than I'm looking to do. ;)