IGNORED

Turbo swap

Ok I own a 74 260z bone stock but the dual webbers. The car has been burning oil blowing gaskets here and there and is just plain worn out. So I decided to pull the motor and do a complete rebuild. But I was thinking about doing a turbo on it. I have rebuilt motors in the past even 3 280s. But I have not much knowledge on turbos to be honest. My question is what would i have to do to make my non turbo motor a turbo motor but still hold up for reliability. I know how to rebuild to stock. But i'm not really good with the performance part to make it better. Basically I want I want is to find a way to get a 13 second street car wether it being turboed or not. Reason is my older brother thinks ford rules the world and his little 13.6 second cobra is the fastest thing in the world LOL. And I wanna show him different being we go to mokan every weekend and he always beats me and never stops rubbing it in my face. And I have put new suspension everything on my car and interior to. But i'm really lacking in the motor area sorry about babling on any help would be appreciated.

Never having taken on such an endeavor in the past, I don't know the details. However, one of the most important questions is "What is your budget?" That will dictate many of the details.

You'll probably need to drop the compression. This could come from using dished pistons and a thicker (metal) headgasket.

Other suggestions include (but are not limited to)

Turbo oil pump (from the Turbo 280ZX)

Electronic ignition

Megasquirt or other aftermarket fuel injection

Intake manifold with ports for injectors

75 280Z gas tank or surge tank

Higher pressure fuel pump

Blocking plate for the removal of the mechanical fuel pump

Turbo exhaust manifold

R200 differential

Ah, carburettors are a different kettle of fish. You'll need to do some research on which side of the carburettors you'll put the turbo. I haven't looked into that in years, and I can't remember which is preferrable if either. You might still need to pump up the fuel pressure some. After you do the research and have definitive questions to ask, Tony D might be a good resource.

Years and year ago, kits were available, but I don't think you'll be able to find one easily. Jim Wolf had a supercharger kit in the catalog years ago, but I haven't even tried to see if it's still there. I'm not even sure they had it available when it was in the catalog. Something tells me that the intake will be among your biggest challenges.

S30s aren't drag cars. Sure you can set anything up to be quick in the 1/4 but at what cost? How does your 260Z do against your brothers Cobra in the twisties? You might be able to build an engine capable of running 13s with a $1500 budget but what about the rest of the car. Clutch, trans, etc.? In other words, the components that will now have to withstand the 250-300 hp you'll likely need to accomplish this. If your brothers Cobra outruns you in the 1/4 mile, it should. Let it be. Different kinds of cars and that's the wrong reason for wanting to make your faster. If you build your 260z to the point where is will outrun his Cobra in the 1/4 you maybe looking at more headaches than enjoyment. That and the fact that no matter what you do to your car there will always be cars that are faster. I've run a 12.838 with my slightly moddded/tuned 2005 GTO. My neighbor's 72 Camaro runs mid 11s. All that being said, it's your car. This is merely my opinion.

Well my brothers cobra will take me in anything corners or not. I was just wondering what it would take. And by you saying what you say i can tell you do not have older brothers LOL. But my point is is that my brothers car only has 300 horsepower. So if I got around 280 in mine it should be around a 13.5. But I also want a turbo becuase of the more tuning you can do. The fact of it being a 260z that is turbo which in my area is rare. And blowoff valves sound awesome LOL. Just seeing what i could do to get a little more speed out of her if I could get about 250 out of my car I would be happy.

Ok I don't know much at all about doing anything. But replacing to stock. But I have heard of shaving the head giving you a little better take off in the lower end. And maybe some new pistons. And a electric fan. What about little tricks that I can do why rebuilding to make sure it's better than stock at least without the turbo. Any suggestions.

Ok I don't know much at all about doing anything. But replacing to stock. But I have heard of shaving the head giving you a little better take off in the lower end. And maybe some new pistons. And a electric fan. What about little tricks that I can do why rebuilding to make sure it's better than stock at least without the turbo. Any suggestions.

Read this book.