IGNORED

Goin to look at a 240z tomorrow =)

BTF/PTM

that's purdy! So THAT'S what floor pans and frame rails are supposed to look like :beer:

That's definitely nice. I'd have to plot an as-soon-as-possible manual transmission swap for it which may be blasphemous to some members, though. Any other opinions on it? Good place to start?

Take a look at this one in So Cal, it's been at $3,200.00 for a few days now and the reserve was already met:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-Survivor_W0QQitemZ230439703487QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a746d3bf

that's purdy! So THAT'S what floor pans and frame rails are supposed to look like :beer:

That's definitely nice. I'd have to plot an as-soon-as-possible manual transmission swap for it which may be blasphemous to some members, though. Any other opinions on it? Good place to start?

I think (at least on the surface) that car is light years better than the first one from the start of this thread. I agree with everyone else, that car had some serious issues covered up.

The nicest thing about the Ebay car is the original paint. If it is original, there likely are not any hidden issues to deal with. Granted, the automatic is a drawback but can easily enough be changed out.

Take it from my (bad) experience and I wish I had done more research before making my purchase. Start with the cleanest car you can find and afford. You will save money in the long run. Take your time, read this site, learn about the cars, the trouble areas, what to look for both good and bad. Or, find an experienced Z guy to look at it for you or with you.

I bought a car for $4K, spent $1k to have it shipped here. So far, Ive spent about $5-6K more on it and I would be embarrassed to admit what I have in it to this point. I am doing all the work myself, learning as I go and spending ALOT more than I would have ever thought. In the end, I will have a car the way I want it to be which is nice and learned alot along the way.

On the down side, I could have shelled out that much and gotten a very nice car and been driving it the past 2 years :)

Good luck in your search.

Edited by MEZZZ

Mark,

That's a great story and great advice. We've all seen it told here time after time!

Andy,

The transmission swap isn't bad and certainly not blasphemous. Plan on getting rid of those carbs first! And at great risk of insulting my 73 owning friends, they make great boat anchors!

Bob

I agree, the underside is in as good of shape as my 73, driven 7 years, and only 212 VIN difference. In my opinion it would be worth 'further investigation', even though it is a little higher than you posted, it appears the quality could make up the difference.

Bonzi Lon

At the time of this post, there's only a little over 5 hours before the auction ends and it's at $3,550.00. I've been monitoring the 240Zs on Ebay on a pretty regular basis for over 5 years now and this one looks to be a real bargain. A solid So Cal car with original paint, clean interior and a solid seller with an excellent track record. Be prepared to pay at least $4k for this car (which is still a bargain)!