Installing choke lever - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Installing choke lever

Featured Replies

Ok i need help installing choke lever on center console. Solution must be simple but i just couldnt figure it out. So there is 2 places for screws in choke assembly but i couldnt figure out their place in center console. Previous owner had drilled hole trough center console and there was long screw holding it (barely) in place (see picture)

Every time i use choke, i can feel the center console snapping because of the screw. I think that is not correct way. Also center console has been cracked near that area ( i got that fixed but it'll barely last)

Thanks already

post-20168-14150809960041_thumb.jpg

A previous owner constructed a bracket in my 73 to hold the choke lever, and I copied it for my 74. It required me to drill two holes near the shifter to install. I attached the choke lever to the bracket with a small nut and bolt.

I hope the attached picture helps.

Steve

post-5413-14150809960825_thumb.jpg

I tried to put a link in but failed. The thread is 'Choke Lever Mounting' by 240Z-Fan. Plenty of options. I made one out of sheet aluminum, very sturdy now.

Bonzi Lon

I tried to put a link in but failed. The thread is 'Choke Lever Mounting' by 240Z-Fan. Plenty of options. I made one out of sheet aluminum, very sturdy now.

Bonzi Lon

Links are easy, especially in advanced editing mode. :)

Choke Lever Mounting

Hmm, what do you know? I looked at the thread after I posted this message. Apparently, the bracket I did is similar to what Mike W described.

Edited by SteveJ
Actually looked at the thread that I posted the link for.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Ok thanks, ill try to do something like that. How was the choke lever originally installed then?

On the lever itself there is a fore and aft hole for a screw to mount to the underside of the console. The console had plastic bosses molded into it at the propper place and height, they were drilled and tapped for the screws. Over time the levers became hard to operate, due to the length, and mostly too much force was applied and the console cracked, broke, or stripped the screws out.

Bonzi Lon

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.