steve91tt

Kia Sportage weatherstip rocks!

Alrighty then. Just got off the phone with Brian at kiaparts.com ( 877-313-4139). Real helpful guy. Anxious to expand his on-line business. Doesn't normally deal with out of country requests, but after I explained the potential market, he got REAL helpful.

I just ordered 12 gaskets, $40.93 each. (BTW, over the counter price is $63). This is the bottom line, no discounts for higher volumes. It will take a week to get the stock, then 10 days to get to me.

Geezer, you might want to contact him directly now that we know he is Canada friendly, can't see it making $$ sense for you to have me ship a set to you after they get to me.

Dan, I'm including your set in the 12. Either one of us can use it as excuse to get in the Z and drive to meet up this spring. I'll let you know when they are in.

Rest of the 12 are spoken for. Lots of angry door slammers in this neck of the woods.

By the way, my request for pricing and info from www.kiaglobalparts.com has so far been ignored.

Jim

Makes sense and thanks for the leg work Jim. I will give him a call in the morning.

Brian called me a few minutes ago from kiaparts.com and told me some guy from Canada bought 12 and they don't have any in stock. He also said that they didn't have any left anywhere in the states and that mine would be coming on the slow boat from Korea. He told me to expect them around the first week in June.

Brian called me a few minutes ago from kiaparts.com and told me some guy from Canada bought 12 and they don't have any in stock. He also said that they didn't have any left anywhere in the states and that mine would be coming on the slow boat from Korea. He told me to expect them around the first week in June.
And earlier in this thread...
Now there will be a rush on Kia Sportage weatherstripping, and the Kia corporate types will spend countless hours testing and trying to figure out why so many Sportages are having weather strip replacements, yet are not coming to the dealership... :)
ROTFLMAO!!!

HA! he called me too after he actually looked for stock.

Seems they only have ONE actual WS left in the US. More from Korea will be here May 26! So much for a this marvelous idea. Well, its just delayed a little. Patience Grasshopper....

Yes, Arne, I'de love to be a fly on the wall when the Kia Engineers wonder what the HELL is going on over in North America!

Darrel

No Yankee can out drink a Canuck! You're on!

That's one,...... two.......

Jim

Dan, I'm including your set in the 12. Either one of us can use it as excuse to get in the Z and drive to meet up this spring. I'll let you know when they are in.

Jim

Jim: That sounds great, pm me as to how you want payment, thanks for doing this. Looking out the window it sure looks like spring is not going to here any time soon.

Dan

McMaster-Carr weatherstripping works great and was $42 shipped to my door in just 3 days from me ordering...just a thought for those of you who dont want to wait.

McMaster-Carr weatherstripping works great and was $42 shipped to my door in just 3 days from me ordering...just a thought for those of you who dont want to wait.

What was the McMaster-Carr part number you used?

25 feet of part number 1120A331 from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1120a331/=6l3xfm

I would not hesitate to recommend this as another option. For me, my doors were difficult to close due to overly thick weatherstripping. The McMaster-Carr weatherstripping fit perfectly and took about 40 minutes total to test-fit, cut to length, and securely install on both doors. Initial leak test showed zero leaks and my doors now close perfectly with just a light push.

Post and reviews from other folks on the weatherstripping here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/83080-new-weatherstrip-alternative/page__st__40

What model of the Sportage is this ws from? The info I am finding shows that the Sportage comes in 2 door and 4 door.

Just wanted to post a thanks to zKars for the group buy. A great replacement for the weatherstripping at a great price delivered to my door. Can't beat that.

Dan

ordered myself 3 pieces from kiaparts.com ...excited to try it out and not have a fishbowl in my trunk...hope i have a large enough piece left for the piece under the hood

Forgot about this after the North American stock got depleted by our friends north of the border!

Just ordered a pair, this has been on my to-do list for quite a while

Took a while, but my pair of Kia seals finally showed up over the holidays.

The Nissan OEM gasket on the drivers side is fine currently, but the passenger side needs to be replaced. My rear hatch inner seal, however, is worn out and seems to have a small gap on the lower passenger side.

Has anyone here followed through on replacing their inner hatch seal with the Kia door seal, like zKars showed was possible? Just wondering how it turned out before I commit a seal to trying it myself.

I've got a Precision hatch seal I ordered from BD a few years ago that I haven't used yet, mainly because I'm wanting to avoid the difficulty other posters have reported in installing the OEM style gaskets.

I used the Kia ws for the inner hatch seal and I think it works great. Gluing weatherstripping is such a pain so being able to just push it on is quite nice. I haven't had any hatch sealing or closing issues.

Same here. The Kia stuff worked great on my hatch. A little massaging of the sheet metal lip was necessary to get it to fit perfectly but I think that may be an issue with my specific car.

Sounds good, guess I'll dive right in. The OEM-style gasket on there keeps the rain out, but I'm not sure it keeps the exhaust fumes out, hopefully this works out a little better

To check for the tightness on the hatch seal, do the $ bill test, especially around the hatch strut corner, above exhaust. Test: Close the hatch on a $ bill and try to remove, it should be held tight.

Bonzi Lon

To check for the tightness on the hatch seal, do the $ bill test, especially around the hatch strut corner, above exhaust. Test: Close the hatch on a $ bill and try to remove, it should be held tight.

That's what I did as well. It turned out that the gap between the body and the hatch was locally large in a couple of places (even without weatherstripping). A couple of taps with a hammer and a block of wood to even up the gap and all is well.

Did the passenger door yesterday, went on pretty easily. Ended up adjusting the door striker all the way inward, bringing the door flush with the body finally. I'm still not sure if I got a good seal across the top. The door doesn't seem to compress the gasket much, if at all. If anything, I feel like the Kia gasket may be a little too soft. I tried the dollar bill test, and it was fairly tight everywhere except the top. I couldn't see an easy way to adjust the door to go more inboard at the top, I assume that would involve monkeying around with the door mounts?

I did as a previous poster suggested, and put the white-dotted "stuffed" portion of the gasket into the 90 degree corner, seemed to work out OK. The joint in the gasket has no crimping in it, so you obviously want to cut that part out. When I did so, the two ends ended up meeting at the bottom near the front of the door frame.

One additional point I wanted to add that I hadn't seen mentioned elsewhere is that I could not get the OEM "kick plate" to fit over the Kia gasket. This kick plate is the metal screwed-on panel that goes along the bottom of the door, and acts as the "push-on" welting in that area.

Edited by Inf