IGNORED

Rear Main cap side seals

aronlove

1978 280z L28

Ok I tried searching for this and couldn't find anything so far. Can anyone tell me which way the side seals go in on the rear main cap? When I say which way, I mean they are not perfectly square. One side is, the other has two "lips" on it so that when viewed from above, it looks rather like a lazy 'C'. I assume this side would go toward the block, but can anyone tell me?

I've also got two small metal strips that came with my Felpro kit. Are these to push the seals in? Or are they installed with the seals?

Any help would be appreciated. The FSM says jack about it except to install the side seals using some sealant.

Thanks!

Aaron

5723124_fel_bs25023_pri_larg.jpg

Edited by aronlove
To be more specific

It's covered rather well in the "how to rebuild" book by Tom Monroe, I would suggest obtaining a copy. With that said the nails go in after the seals on the block side, the 'C" goes on the block side, you do use a small amount of RTV in both the nail slots and the cap corners.

He also mentions installing the rear main on the crank while installing it thereby eliminating the need for a special too.

I had the book handy so I looked it up. Before i couldn't recall where the grove was, block or cap. It's been 7 yrs since i refreshed the engine in the 240.

Thinking about it, I thought the gasket set had instructions?

But the books are great for following when working on our cars. All books are a must have, from the FSM to the lowly haynes.

Thanks so much. I will finally be able to get this finished. The FelPro set I obtained didn't have instructions in it. (Perhaps they were removed?) Oh well.

Unfortunately I don't have the book you mentioned, I will look into getting a copy.

Thanks again!

:classic:

Edited by aronlove

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old, but I recently used the same set of FelPro seals you to change out mine. Make sure before you add sealant and install the cap that you first slide the side seals all the way in until they bottom out. Get an idea for how much they stick out above the oil pan gasket surface, as you'll need to trim them later, but also want to make sure they're all the way in... I left about 2mm sticking up so the cork oil pan gasket and side seal would make contact, not leaving a gap under the surface. I also noticed that there was a decent wear groove and scar in the crank where the old seal sat, so I pushed the seal in, again about 2mm to overlap some thicker crank. I don't know if it will help, but I can't see it hurting anything. You could probably move it 3mm in either direction prior to tightening up the cap bolts.

• Like 1