IGNORED

Headliner Replacement 72 240Z

Miles

In a 72 240Z can the headliner be installed without removing the windshield and side header parts? My headliner has to be replaced, but my headers are in good shape and I want to avoid destroying them to get them off the car.

Thanks

Miles

Yes, you can, I have done it (with the help of Escanlon and beandip). It takes some care, and at minimum two people, three might be better. You'll need to mask off the header padding to prevent adhesive from getting on them. Stick it in the center first, work towards the edges and tuck the edge under the header padding.

Hi Miles, the headliner can be replaced without removing the windshield or other vinyl pieces. I would recommend removing the plastic trim piece that goes along the back side. Use a small punch or a hex key to push in the pins in the plastic rivets that hold the trim piece in place.

First, make sure the inside surface of the roof is clean. Use a scraper to remove any large pieces of old adhesive and any remnants of the old foam. Then use a rag with a bit of laquer thinner to remove the last bits of adhesive. Dry the the inside surface of the roof with a clean rag.

Use masking tape and masking paper (plastic or newspaper could also be used) to cover the vinyl trim pieces. Cover the dash and seats to keep them from getting any adhesive on them. Before spraying any adhesive, hold the new headliner in place as best you can to get it centered. Use masking tape to help hold it up. Use a piece of masking tape to hold the front of the headliner in place in the vicinity of the rear view mirror. Then use a piece of tape to hold the back of the headliner in place in the vicinity of the dome light. Use a few pieces of tape to hold one side up above a door opening (left or right, it doesn't matter) Then let the other side hang down. Spray the adhesive on the exposed half of the roof surface and the backside of the headliner. Leave the last inch or two around the outside edge of the headliner bare. In other words, do not spray any adhesive on the edge of the headliner that overlaps the vinyl trim. Working from the center line (from the rear view mirror to the dome light area) push up on the headliner to stick it in place. Take your time to avoid wrinkles. Don't worry about the edge of the headliner at this point. It should be over lapping the vinyl trim at the front and the side. A fiew pieces of tape will help hold it in place. Now untape the other side and let it hang down. Spray adhesive on the exposed roof surface and the back of the headliner, then stick it in place like you did the other half.

Now all that remains is to push the edge of the headliner up into the space between the vinyl trim pieces and the roof. A paint stick works well, sand the edges first to prevent damaging the new headliner. Go slow and use a soft touch. Once it is all tucked in, re-install remove the masking paper from the vinyl trim, uncover the dash & seats, re-install the plastic trim piece along the back edge of the headliner and admire your work!

It helps greatly to mark the center of the new headliner at the front edge. Once you are in the car and holding the loose liner you will be glad to see your mark . do the same at the rear edge. When you spray the adhesive don't saturate the foam , follow the directions on the can. when you press the liner in place avoid crushing the foam against the roof. If you accidentally have added too much adhesive the foam cells will stick together and you will have dimples .

Like was stated two people is a big help in centering and aligning the new liner.

Gary

Be careful with the canned spray glue.......it goes everywhere if you are not careful. You may want to have something to clean up quickly if needed (which you will need). Be sure to let it get tacky and then stick it up. I supported my for 12 hours so it would not drop any. Don't attempt this project by yourself. If you let two sticky glued edges touch you are in trouble.

While you are up there you may want to put in a sound deadener which makes a HUGE difference in the cabin of the car.

post-14147-14150809747511_thumb.jpg

In addition to not using too much adhesive be sure to use enough and follow the directions carefully about letting it get tacky before applying the headliner. I did mine all by myself but had to redo it because it started sagging in the middle. I must not have used enough adhesive or let it get tacky enough.

So we are done with the head liner install on the 74. Too easy.

We are using the MSA replacement, which is good in two ways. It is quite stiff, and has a fabric/netting stuff over the foam, so it takes glue really well.

We (two of us) held it up and tucked it in all around the outside with no glue first to test fit, center it and to mark center. It pretty much holds itself up without glue its so stiff.

One of use then sat in the passenger seat and held up half and kept it in position, while the other guy pulled down the headliner on the other half and sprayed it with glue, waited the 5 minutes as suggested, then stuck it back up. Repeat on the other side, tuck it back in around the edges, all with fingers, no sticks. Done in 30 minutes. Left about 6 inches all around the edge with no glue to make tucking easy.

I guess the true test will be tomorrow if its still up there!

Thanks for the tips, took all the stress out of by having a plan in mind.

Jim

• Like 1