IGNORED

Quick Exhaust Fumes Question

DMC-Z

I've read all the posts, searched all forums and have a pretty straight forward question on a potential entry point for exhaust fumes. Here's the scoop:

The car in question is a Series 1, 1970 240Z with the vented decklid.

This weekend I installed new tail light gaskets, replaced all the grommets for the fuel expansion tank, spare tire well and floor, sealed the nefarious antenna drain hole, replaced the deck lid gaskets. I even sealed the license plate light assembly just in case. After all that, I'm still getting a whiff of fumes in the car. Not as bad as before, but I still smell like fumes after driving.

I've attached a photo of the underside of the deck lid. In the upper left hand corner you will see a small hole in the sheet metal that I don't think is covered by the interior moldings. Could this be the source of the remaining fumes?

Has anyone filled this hole up to prevent fumes? And if so, what did you use and did it work? I've considered 3M Strip Caulk (dum dum) but wasn't able to find any locally over the weekend.

Thoughts? Insights?

post-14351-14150809684096_thumb.jpg

Have you tried closing the rear hatch on a long strip of paper (waxed paper 2 or 3 inches wide works well) and then checking to see if you can pull it out? Do this all around the hatch sealed opening and you'll find out if there are any gaps, or weak sealing points, between seal & hatch.

Dennis

psdenno - With the new weatherstripping it's tight all the way around. I had to adjust the striker so it closed and I suspect it will take some breaking in to close a little easier. Thanks for the idea.

Darrel - It's short, just about even with the bumper. It's on the to-do list for this winter. John Over suggested Exhaust Pros in Commerce City, do you have any good exhaust recommendations?

They are probably better than the exhaust pros on huron near me. I would thought they could have tweaked mine better when putting it on. But I had a used msa turbo exhaust I had them put on with a glasspack.

I had 3" exhaust with a magnaflow muffler on my ZXT put on by a shop in Longmont and was very happy with them. I will have to look up their name. They are on 3rd and a couple blocks east of main.

I think Bud's muffler is on the list of ZCCC vendors. You will have to check the Odometer for the list.

*edit*

I know there is a sweet spot for the exhaust past the back of the bumper. Maybe 3"? It might be covered in the hybridz wind tunnel thread.

Edited by Darrel