IGNORED

71 240z compression rod issue

rubrbulits

So here's what I did. A friend of mine owns a machine shop and made these for me out of mild steel. Amazing what a 12 pack can get you. I still can't figure out how the original peices were missing, but the rest of the metal on the TC box and frame rail are in excellent shape. Although this car had its fair share of rust, it's not in all the typical places. So anyway, I drilled four 5/16" holes in each peice and welded them on. Good to go! And yes Enigma, I might just heed your warning about the urethane bushings. Iv'e read numerous threads about how these bushings are a risky application on the compression rods. I threw in an extra pic of the rest of my front end, just because.

post-18334-14150809643477_thumb.jpg

post-18334-14150809643776_thumb.jpg

post-18334-14150809643993_thumb.jpg

" I might just heed your warning about the urethane bushings. Iv'e read numerous threads about how these bushings are a risky application on the compression rods.

I agree with this concern. This fitting is truly meant as a pivot point. In fact I was looking at an old 944 the other day, which, along with many other cars I'm sure, has a tc arm with 2 hinge points, one of which is the rear anchoring at the same location as our bushing/washer connection. I don't know why Nissan didn't engineer a true hinge instead of a steel rod inside rubber, but that would have been a much more stable connection.

If you look at most of the urethane bushings we put in, they are at rotation points, and are not really made to flex much. It seems to me that the flex at this connection would be very "reluctant" and if the rod were to give instead, you can tell by the geometry of the suspension that the results could be disastrous.

I'm not meaning to open a can of worms here but I'm putting in rubber at this bushing, even though I got urethane ones with my kit.

Edited by tlorber
typo