IGNORED

260Z Roof Skin Graft (Thanks Arne)

Zs-ondabrain

So after receiving my 260Z from the P.O.S. I mean P.O. I found that the roof had been walked on by his neighbor kids. And besides the dents that I did'nt feel confident about fixing myself, it also had it's own fare share of rust, on both sides. So as the title says, Thanks Arne. As his thread on his reroof (skin graft) has given me the confidence to do my own Z in the same manner. And thanks to Ken in Port Orchard (NWZFAN) for the Donor roof from another 260Z.

So now that Christmas is over, I decided it was time to get back to work. I bought a panel stand at Harbor Freight Tools for for a mere $15 and I'm loving it. I drilled all the way thru each spot weld on the donor roof and peeled the skin away like Anthony Hopkins in a horror flick. Then I flipped it over and cleaned the adhesive off. Pounded the edges true and set it aside to be primered before welding it to the 260Z.

31951350288_medium.jpg31951350287_medium.jpg

31951350289_medium.jpg31951350284_medium.jpg

Then I started in on the 260Z. Except this time I used a spot weld cutting bit. Drilled a couple spots out then used a heavy gauge scraper to seperate the metals and keep tension on the welds, so they would "Pop up" as soon as the weld cutter cleared the first skin. This kept me from accidentally cutting thru both sheets. (I learned the hard way on the first spot weld)

31951350290_medium.jpg31951350291_medium.jpg

31951350293_medium.jpg31951350294_medium.jpg

I'll add more to this thread as soon as I grind the spot welds clean, spray weldable primer on those and clean up the surface rust. Just need to figure out if I'm gonna re-Lead or fill the rear seams with fiberglass. Seams like FG would be the better way to go. I got time, we'll see.

GreenZZZ,

Yup, but it helps to be a Surgeon on the side.

Ken,

I'll keep that in mind when I do the fill work. Thanks.

I should be able to get some work done today, after the shopping and other (Honey Do) things are over with. I'm gonna try and get the grinding done and spray the weldable primer. After that's dry, I'll start aligning everything and notch the new skin to line up just right.

I'll be back,

Dave