IGNORED

oil pump question

zdude1967

I just completed a bunch of work on my 260. Rebuilt cylinder head, timing chain, gear, headers etc. In any case I don’t know if the oil pump has ever been changed, I saw a high capacity oil pump on the motorsports website. They of course have the standard one as well. The high capacity one claims a 10 to 15 % increase in volume. Would this be beneficial in a basically stock engine, could it be harmful, or it just doesn’t matter

Anyone?

I just researched this for my own car, a 280. Extra volume is a good thing, but not necessary. A pump from a zx turbo produces more pressure than a stock non turbo motor and a pump from a zx turbo with an automatic produces both more pressure and more volume as the automatic version has a built in oil cooler in the radiator. The general conclusion that I came up with is to use the turbo motor oil pump (manual trans) unless you have an auxilary oil cooler. Plus, it is cheaper. I haven't fired that motor yet so can't tell you what the gauge says, but it has to be better than what the old gauge read (about 5 lbs unless it was very cold).

At least this is what I did.

Leonard

I am running the "turbo" pump from MSA and my oil pressure gauge always reads high also. I don't think it will hurt anything. So long as the connections on your oil cooler are solid they should take the load.

I suspect that the turbo pump is the same basic pump as the standard unit with a higher pressure relief valve and possibly larger gears. The turbo motor needs the extra pressure to get the oil out to the turbine compressor bearings.

Hi Manny, There is a difference between pressure and volume. Typically, an engine doesn't need a high pressure, but volume is always good. The turbo pumps provide higher pressure because they are feeding the oil serviced turbo. The turbo oil pump that would be in a zx with an automatic transmission would put out the higher pressure and a higher volume because in addition to feeding the motor and the turbo, it also had to push it through the oil cooler and back to the pan. For an average l26, the turbo oil pump from a zx with an automatic might be considered overkill. On the otherhand, I have never heard of an engine fail because it had too much oil. I went with the turbo pump from the l28et with a manual as it was about 30 bucks or so cheaper and the one with the automatic and I was comfortable with the knowledge it was already a step up from a stock pump.