IGNORED

Minimal tools needed to paint valance?

7T1240

Hello all.

I need to paint a front valance. I have purchased the single stage paint, hardener and reducer. My plan was to use a Preval sprayer. The paint shop owner discouraged this, saying that the spray pattern is too small to do a good job without being very careful and precise.

I have access to an air compressor (2 actually, one a 30 gal., the other industrial capacity).

So, first question, any votes up or down on using the Preval sprayer. And, if the general consensus is don't use the Preval, what is the minimum amount of additional tools (with estimated cost) I would need to do this job?

Thanks, Gary S.

Hi Gary,

I used a preval sprayer to do touchup on the inner lips of the headlight housing after a fiberglass repair and the inner fender ledges after replacing the machine screws with the correct screws. I am just a hobbiest have no paint experience except for small touchups from rock chips. I was extremely pleased with the spray pattern. It was a nice

fine spray that covered nicely with several applications to get the desired coverage.

Mine was a two stage. I put the color on with the preval, and Dupont Clear with a rattle can. I had a paint store color match my paint, 918 Orange, and it is impossible to see the touchup.

Hope this helps. Dan

As far as equipment, I just used a good masking paper and tape, sand paper, and paint prep cleaner. Take your time with the prep and the results will be good.

Edited by AZ-240z
add information

Gary, if you have a Harbor Freight in town find a Campbell Hausfeld Detail Spray Gun. It will give up to a 9'' pattern. When I was restoring my Z , I used mine to shoot all of the engine bay with Tie Coat primer to cover the repairs and POR. You will find that for small jobs like the valance it is just right. I have had mine for several years now but I think that they are still available for around $10 to 15.00. The item #is DH5500 I think you can order one on line.

Mary Christmas Gary

Dan and Gary, thanks for your replies. Dan, your comments seem to align with what the paint store guy was saying, that the Preval is great for smaller touchup jobs, but that a different applicator might be more appropriate for larger surface areas. I originally bought the Preval to do the battery tray area when I have access to it, and it sounds like a fine choice for that.

Gary, yes we do have Harbor Freight here (2 actually). I called them after you posted, and they don't have the Campbell Hausfeld, although they do have several other options that are similar. Campbell Hausfeld is offering reconditioned DH5500's for $17.96 on their website: http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/chPrd5_10051_10001_86631_-1_search

Gary, did you use any kind of an inline filter / separator device for water?

Gary S.

Gary;

Campbell Hausfeld is typically sold in Fred Meyerand Wal-Mart in our area of the country. As far as quality, they're better than the ones you buy at Harbor Freight. However when it comes to price the Harbor Freight paint guns are very inexpensive.

You can get a small "HVLP" (their name for it, when it is only a gravity feed gun) for about $9-15. The larger guns can be as low as $15 up to $30.

Depending on how much use you plan for it, you could also opt for their "Kit" which includes one of each. They also have an upper and lower level of quality. If memory serves it depends on the color of the anodizing on the body.

In either case, take care to disassemble and clean the gun FIRST. Make sure there aren't any stray bits of machining metal still in the orifices or passageways. Also make sure you wash it thoroughly with lacquer thinner to ensure there isn't any leftover oil. (The HF QC aren't the best for for that, and they're typically dripping in oil preservative.) Reassemble the gun and play with it to get used to the spray pattern and adjustments.

Another major reason to not use the PREVAL sprayer is that you need to thin the paint down sufficiently to be sprayed out the spray tip... which is the same style as a spray paint gun. This makes the paint "flash" faster which can cause dry-lines which in turn make it seem as if you "striped" the car. Add in metallic paints and you have even more problems.

The water separator filter at the end of your air hose right before your gun is a good idea, however, this should be your last filter. See if you can get an in-line filter/separator in the air hose supply at least 15' or so from the compressor, followed by your paint gun supply hose. (Placing the water separator at the exit from the compressor will NOT do the job you want... the air has to cool somewhat before the humidity will condense in the separator.) You can even use those red "tennis ball" filter/dryers (disposable).

FWIW

E

FWIW

E

Well, FWIW is a heckuva lot...some really great information here! I was hoping to find a local supplier for the Campbell Hausfeld guns, so the Fred Meyer / Wal-Mart suggestion really helps. And the tips on preparing the gun before using - really helpful- as well as the filter / separator placement.

I'm heading out to trade the reducer the paint store gave me for 65 - 80 degree temps. for a cool temp. reducer 60- 70 F, and I can swing by Fred Meyer while I'm out.

Thanks for the great input.

Gary S.