IGNORED

Rear brake question

Pomorza

Hello again

So at the moment both my rear drums need to be rebuilt as the wheel cylinders are leaking fluid quite badly. For just parts at the moment I'm looking at spending roughly $300 or so. So I'm wondering one thing. I've been told by a number of Z people I know (and have seen some posts here) that rear disks off later model ZX's fit 280z. How much would converting the rear drums into ZX disk brakes run me? I'm just looking for options as $75+ for a wheel cylinder is just a tad bit high in my opinion.

Any advise or information would be wonderful.

Jan

Rock auto has them for 35 , that's where I bought mine when I did a full rear brake rebuild.(new drums and all)

After seeing who much it was going to set me back I also looked into a rear disk conversion. If you do it yourself and source the parts needed from junkyard then it could possibly be down on the cheap. If you pay soemone else to do with labor alone will be a ton. (I was quoted 600+)

It isn't completely bolt on, you'll need to course 85-87 (double check the years) Nissan maxima brake bracket from a junk yard. I think there's a few places online you can buy them but their pricey. Then 280zx calipers will cost you ~50 each if you buy them new or under 10 if you can find them in a junk yard.

Use the search function here and at hybridz and I'm sure you'll find a ton of info and tuts on this.

EDIT: Looks like Rock Auto has a close out deal on some Wheel cylinders for 6 bucks each. Might wanna hop on this.

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1209226&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Scroll down a bit and you'll see them. It's the Rock Auto RSS feed for a 76 280z.

Double Edit: Looks like that's for 8/76 or newer, I figure with your vin your must be a January of February build. (mines April)

Did find a 5% off code for Rock Auto though, every bit helps.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

Edited by Z Tyler Z