IGNORED

how to pull engine?

TriDawgn

So over the last few months ive had some new parts starting to pile up including new floor pans. I know there are some rust issues with the car so i have been contemplating having it blasted down to metal and having it primed so i get get a good solid base to do the body work on. To do this i would like to strip the car down to a the shell myself to save a few bucks on labor time.

I have done a search but i cant seem to find any "how to"s on pulling an engine. Is there anyone that could point me to / write up a quick checklist of what has to be unscrewed. I'm mostly concerned about forgetting something from the transmission back and breaking it trying to pull it out.

Thanks in advance for everyones help, you guys have saved my arse a few times :)

**Disconnect the battery before you do any of this**

1) detach all hoses, wires, linkage and cables from the motor, that are attached to the car.

2) Pull the radiator to eliminate any chance of hurting it during the pull.

3) Drain the Oil from the pan and the Tranny.

4) Unbolt the driveline and remove it after the gear oil is out of the tranny. ALSO, Remove the Speedo cable, reverse switch wires and Neutral safety switch on the tranny.

5) Attach a chain to the Engine pull brackets near the oil pump and exhaust bolt near the firewall, on the head.

6) Attach a decent Cherry Picker/ engine hoist to the chain but put a towl or 2 between the valve cover and the chain to keep it from scuffing or being damaged.

7) loosen and remove the nuts and washers holding the motor mounts to the crossmember. It won't go anywhere so you're safe.

8) Loosen but don't remove the bolts that hold the tranny's crossmember in place.

9) slowly start to lift the motor to take the weight off the car, when the motor mounts start to lift away from the crossmember, remove the bolts holding the tranny's crossmember to the body. Slowly lower it by hand to it doesn't hit the floor.

**Make sure the speedo cable is removed from the clamps on the bell housing befre you procede**

Now slowly lift the motor up far enough to clear the fenders, radiator support wall and the car in general.

That should do it. Just pay attension as you raise it to make sure everything is disconnected and won't snag as you remove it. You can also remove the tranny before doing this to make it a little easier if you're doing it by yourself.

Be careful and have fun,

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

you didn't try to pull the engine thru the hatch again, did you?LOL

Tristan, Dave's giving you a good plan

WHAT?... the hood can come off??! i just cut a huge hole in my floor an firewall trying to drag that thing out the hatch, exhaust and all! ROFL