IGNORED

Roll pan for rear bumper elimination?

slo929

Does anyone know if there is a a company out there that makes a smooth piece for the rear of a 240. i am trying to eliminate my rear bumper and instead of doing all the patchwork needed i thought it would be nice if someone made a one piece weld on unit.

Thanks in advance.

Slo

I couldn't afford one, and yes they are available (in stock form) so I welded the holes shut using peices of sheet metal. Below, you'll see mine as it sits now, with holes filled and the exhaust cut-out also filled. And those are Porsche 924 front bumper blocks with the ends trimmed to a flat level form. Then bolted on using the supplied studs and nuts that came off the Porsche.

Dave

31951350252_large.jpg

They're just slapped on there but will be straightened out later. I just wanted something different. Yet still kinda functional. The holes are drill just below the Frame rail that goes across the back and also uses the stock bumper bracket holes. We all know that getting rear ended will kill the back end either way, but at least it's different.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I am so glad you said they needed to be straightened later because I kept looking at the picture thinking, "Is the left one a little crooked?". I didn't want to say anything because nobody wants to finish a project and then have someone tell them there is something wrong. I think you did an excellent job. It really looks nice and will only look better when you are done. Be sure to post a picture of the final outcome.

carl

My son's 78. Holes were welded and indentations fiberglassed. Vintage Camaro-looking spoiler was his find... My 260 will not have a rear bumper either, however I have a less bodacious BRE spoiler for it.

I haven't seen any manufactured roll pans, tho I did talk to a guy who had a sheet-metal shop fabricate one. According to him it was quite a process to get it made.

post-15068-14150809092604_thumb.jpg

post-15068-14150809093327_thumb.jpg

I just bolted them on to take the picture. The shape of the Porsche front bumper and the rear of the Z are very similar. I got the rubber blocks for $4 each so even if they failed to do what I envisioned, it would'nt be a big loss. I was going for the 300ZX look and think it's close, minus the big bumper.

They will also look very different when the car is painted. Going for a Chevy Orange (Block color) Same as the engine pictured below.

So here's a few during and after bodywork shots. And a few of the motor that help give an idea of the color that the car will be. Camera doesn't quite do it justice.

Dave

post-4921-14150809093935_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150809094855_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150809095743_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150809096174_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150809096681_thumb.jpg

post-4921-1415080909712_thumb.jpg

My son's 78. Holes were welded and indentations fiberglassed. Vintage Camaro-looking spoiler was his find...

McGuffin, your son needs to go slap the crap out of the monkey who mounted that muffler. From the picture is looks like a center dump which is the wrong type and explains why they had to mount it at an angle. If it was your son who did it, go slap him. :)

Actually, we are the monkeys. That is the 2-1/2" performance exhaust w/ Dynomax muffler as sold by MSA. The kit came with no instructions, and the muffler had no make or model info on it to be able to tell if it was the proper model. I did some research in the threads here and found at least one other person that had the same issue with fitting the muffler, and couldn't find anything in dynomax's website. Honestly, we just ran out of time and energy to devote to sorting it out. Put it on as best we could. It does sound good, even if it looks like monkey s**t....:)

Once the son gets out of college it will be his time and money to fix it.:D

He's already eyeballing the SS coffee-can muffler that's currently fitted to my 260, which I don't really care for. Whatever I end up doing, it won't be what he's got on his now.