IGNORED

Thermostat housing

JohnnyP

I am about to install a new thermostat housing in my '76 280z. I thought it would be a good idea to check here and see if there is anything else I should be doing while I'm at it. I am going to replace the current thermostat with a 180 degree thermostat from thezstore.com.

So I guess Im just curious to know if there is any thing to be done in addition with this small project?

Thanks everyone!

John

It would be a good time to replace anything else in the cooling system since you'll have the coolant drained. Are all your hoses ok? How old is the water pump? Any leaks from the radiator? Does the coolant flow through the intake on a '76? I'm a 240Z guy so forgive my ignorance on this... If so, are there any changes or repairs needed related to the intake manifold?

Thank your for your response!

The coolant does not flow through the intake manifold in a '76. I have replaced all leaky and faulty hoses that I found. As for the water pump, the one on there is the one it rolled out of the factory with. Its working fine at the moment... Should I budget for a replacement?? And no leaks from the radiator!

Thanks again, your help and advice is appreciated.

John

If the pump is really 33 years old, opting to buy a new one isn't really a bad idea. With the coolant out it will make the replacement very simple instead of having to drain it again a month or two down the road. I bought mine from here for $47 with shipping to my door and new bolts. If you plan on doing the water pump please spend the extra $5 on the new bolt kit they sell on MSA. Its just quick insurance so that you don't get stuck with a broken bolt or two in the block.

Jan

P.S

Oh and if you let that online store know that you are a member of a z club (such as this one) you get a discount

Sounds like a good deal. I will always spring for the bolt/stub kit when possible. Broken bolts are a nightmare! Motor Sport Auto is a good place, they always have high quality parts. I will look into it. Thanks again everyone for the help!

John