IGNORED

Transmission no return to center with a 5 spd in a 240Z?

Mikes Z car

I notice when I pull out of 5th gear I tend to grind a little because I slightly tap reverse before I get into the neutral position and have realized this is because the shift lever won't return to center when I pull out of 5th and let go of it. It doesn't return to center from other gears either. Looking at the Haynes manual there is a return spring plug and return spring to the left and forward of the shift lever looking down through the shift lever hole from the driver's seat with the shift boots removed. I can see that the return plug itself is actually there. I remember reading another thread that indicates there are at least two different 5 speed transmissions that someone could have put in this car and I don't know which one I have or if that makes a difference here. My two questions are:

1. Is a missing return spring most likely causing this and if it is missing can I get one somewhere and if not might it be possible to make one from a spring I get at a hardware store? The book doesn't say anything about there being any ball bearing that the spring pushes against.

2. Is it possible to put in a return spring without taking the transmission out? I realize that this might not be a common problem.

Thanks for any information.

Mike

I'd guess that it is far more likely that the spring is broken rather than missing. These springs are fairly stout, so I don't know if it will be easy to find a suitable non-factory replacement. In the other hand, I don't know if they are still available from Nissan, but the part number for all four speeds and all five speeds through '78 is 32830-20100 which retails for less than $2. Each transmission uses three of these springs. I'm guessing the ZX 5 speeds use the same springs. The detent ball is 32829-26760 which also fits all those same transmissions.

Assuming that your spring is either broken or missing, you should be able to change it in the car. Remove the plug carefully while the transmission is in neutral, stick a small magnet in the hole to remove any pieces and also the existing ball (if any), then install the new parts and re-install the plug.

I notice when I pull out of 5th gear I tend to grind a little because I slightly tap reverse before I get into the neutral position and have realized this is because the shift lever won't return to center when I pull out of 5th and let go of it. It doesn't return to center from other gears either. Looking at the Haynes manual there is a return spring plug and return spring to the left and forward of the shift lever looking down through the shift lever hole from the driver's seat with the shift boots removed. I can see that the return plug itself is actually there. I remember reading another thread that indicates there are at least two different 5 speed transmissions that someone could have put in this car and I don't know which one I have or if that makes a difference here. My two questions are:

1. Is a missing return spring most likely causing this and if it is missing can I get one somewhere and if not might it be possible to make one from a spring I get at a hardware store? The book doesn't say anything about there being any ball bearing that the spring pushes against.

2. Is it possible to put in a return spring without taking the transmission out? I realize that this might not be a common problem.

Thanks for any information.

Mike

OK. The spring is the reason for your problem, and it can be replaced while the car in up on the hoist. It takes 2 10mm bolts to remove.

They are used on paaseger car and truck through mid 80s. So you might find an used one pretty much anywhere. There are also two types of that plug: oval shape with 2 10mm bolts: half oval with only 1 10mm bolt. They work the same.

But As Arnie mentioned, if you could find just that spring, it will be good!.

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com

Mike, please let me know if you find a source for the spring. I have the same problem, albeit not as seriously. My shift will return to the center, but the spring action is rather light. I've learned to push to the center when coming out of 5th, but sometimes (rarely) I "miss."

Thank you Arne, Esprist and Fastwoman,

Great information, it helps a lot and Fastwoman yes if I find I need a new spring I will let you know where I got one.

Mike

No problem, one idea is to put a washer between the plug and spring to make it stronger (as old fashon way to make a high pressure oil pump)

Just a thought.......

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com