IGNORED

Oil getting dirty quick

Hey guys

I have notice my oil gets dirty very quickly. I put in a new engine about 2500 miles ago. I knew i would have to change a couple of times but i thought i was through that. I changed it at about 250, then about 1000, and finally at about 2000. I wouldn't have changed it the third time but it was pretty dirty oil. Now again it is dirtier then ever. I am driving long distances so I can't risk it. Why would it be getting this dirty this fast? Just typical new engine break in. It was pretty tight when i first put it back together.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Frankie

Hi Frankie...

If by 'dirty', you mean the color of the oil, I don't think that by it's self is an accurate indication of how dirty it is. Oil will get darker. If you are concerned about how dirty it is, when you change the oil, cut open the old oil filter. That will reveal what's traveling around in the system. I would also use a premium filter such as a Wix or Pure One.

Bruce

Oil turns color when contaminated and/or oxidized. Fuel system running too rich could be a cause of contamination. You mentioned your engine was "tight" when you built it. If there is too much friction your oil could be overheating and oxidizing prematurely. I'd continue changing it and pay attention to how long it take to turn dark. A synthetic oil might be a good idea as they claim to handle high oil temps better than dino oil.

Steve

Frankie;

You might also take your long distance driving into consideration.

You're currently moving from Indiana to Oregon via Denver and LA... lots of miles, lots of altitude changes, lots of .... Get my drift?

Distance alone, from Indiana to Oregon is roughly 2300 or so miles (2500 from Oscoda, Michigan to Vancouver, Wa... personal experience and odometer from Ryder Rental) and you've detoured to Minnesota, Denver, Arizona (Grand Canyon) and now Vegas and LA.

You've put a LOT of miles, in a very short time period (even with your layover in Minnesota).

Changing the oil won't hurt, but I'm not sure you need to be over-cautious either.

2¢

E