IGNORED

71 240z steering rack.

glassguy

Towards the passenger side on top of the steering rack there is an off white plastic cap of some sort. Unfortunately while I was degreasing and using a pressure washer, this cap broke off. What is it, and what is it's function? How important is it?

Edited by glassguy

I am sure someone else will chime in shortly, but, just off the top of my brain, I believe that this is a grease reservour found on the rack of early, series 1 (politically incorrect characterization of the early 240-z) cars. Depending on your bent toward originality, it would be neat to possibly find a replacement.

Dan

The white plug is an expansion reservoir. Opinions vary (use the search function) as to the usefulness of this object.

It would be great to find a period correct replacement. Many people apparently plug the hole when it breaks off. See the attached picture for my solution.

post-3035-14150808590463_thumb.jpg

• Like 1