IGNORED

rb conversion in 76' 240k

SHM17Y

Kent is the current record holder for slow projects, he has about 17 of them on the go :laugh:

Hehe speaking of projects.. i may have just today picked up a forged RB26 for the Z :paranoid:

The RB's fit pretty well into the C110/C210's. If your going RB25, i would recommend getting a Greddy or similar front facing plenum (which helps with height and plumbing). RB25DET boxes are big, but fit well.. RB25DE/RB20DET boxes are a little smaller and cheaper (and weaker..). You need a custom set of engine mounts, Gearbox mount and driveshaft.

otherwise there are not any real clearence issues with the RB's (The only issue i have with my RB26 is that the oil sensor is fouling on the power steering box i have, but that is not standard)

of course.. with any "big" engine upgrade you should also do brakes, diff, half shafts etc. to suit

be carefull if you are looking at doing the RB30DET.. it would be almost impossible to get the car engineered (since the engine is a hybrid and therefore has no EPA data).. i believe that the majority of people who do it, illegally either modify the engine number to match their old RB one or just do it and hope nobody notices the wrong engine number (which would be hard considering they check when doing greenslips/blueslips). Of course that isn't a problem if the car is already registered with the RB30, but you are still heavily modifying the engine and still have to deal with the EPA issue.. EPA fines are HUGE too, if you do get caught

I originally went down this path, and then gave up as i wasn't prepared to do the above.

SHM17Y, if you need a gearbox xmember to fit the RB25DET gearbox, send me a PM

Edited by khughes

• 3 months later...

As stated HybridZ.org dont have very much info on the K's.

I fitted a RB20det into my 240k, Sold it to a mate & bought a RB25det half cut LOL.

ive already modified the crossmember when i fitted the RB20, will the rb25 use the same mounting points as the mount look totally different??

when others have done the conversion, what have they done with the wiring?

since i got a half-cut i have the whole loom- what would be better, tap into 240k wiring using original wiring, or change all 240k plugs (lights, dash, accessories) onto r33 loom (is it possible)??

I think the first thing you need to do is get wiring diagrams for both cars and work out what wires need to be connected.

I remember a 240Z swap in one of the car mags, they didn't bother with trying to wire the original gauges to new loom, instead they molded in the skyline gauge pod into the z dash, which might be an option for you with the K.

i am not up to the wiring stage yet (will be soon).. ages ago i bought a full R33 body wiring loom that i was looking to retro fit.. but it really is too hard to work through..

I am going to end up replacing the factory wiring (there isn't much in there) and custom wiring it all up.. the hardest bit will be the switching of the blinkers/wipers/headlights.. oh and the ignition key

i am replacing all my guages though.. if your keeping standard then you will have to mess around trying to get the right gearbox output cog to match the diff/speedo

Edited by khughes

ive decided to use the original wiring for the car and the r33 loom to run the engine (easiest way imho)

stripped the loom back last night using a guide from another site i found, very straight forward. Putting the motor/gearbox in tonight :cool:

now with the dash/instrument cluster, im sreiously thinking of modding the R33 dash and fitting that to the 240k as this would be the easiest way around guages/speedo, which is a pity coz the 240 instrument cluster is one of the best parts of the car imo!

otherwise i could try my hand at fitting the R33 guages into the 240k cluster, but risk screwing everything up!?! :stupid:

be sure to post as much specifics as you can (especially in regards to the 240k - engine connections), it will be very helpful for plenty of people

are you going off the hybridz chris rummfeild thread?

i would imagine a R33 dash would have to be pretty hacked up to fit a 240k..

be sure to post as much specifics as you can (especially in regards to the 240k - engine connections), it will be very helpful for plenty of people

are you going off the hybridz chris rummfeild thread?

i would imagine a R33 dash would have to be pretty hacked up to fit a 240k..

yeah mate, used the chris rummfield thread!!

the R33 dash needs about 10-15mm cut off each end to fit in the 240k (which isnt so bad as its mainy plastic on the ends), but then there is the hassle of mounting it (im not at that stage yet)

didnt end up getting the engine in tonight, took the gearbox off and had a look at the clutch, seems in good cond. took off all other accessories i wont be running, pwr steer, air-con, rad fan, heat shields etc... (makes the engine look much tidier imo):classic:

gonna need a gtr style plenum for bonnet clearances i can see already :ermm:

are you running an RB25? when i was goind down taht path, i ended up buying a greddy plenum for around $800 shipped from the states (years ago now).. easy to fit and gave really good clearance

There are chinese knock offs, but they are mostly not worth the money once you take into account the bad fitting and the amount of extra work cleaning them up and finding all the parts that are missing

are you running an RB25? when i was goind down taht path, i ended up buying a greddy plenum for around $800 shipped from the states (years ago now).. easy to fit and gave really good clearance

There are chinese knock offs, but they are mostly not worth the money once you take into account the bad fitting and the amount of extra work cleaning them up and finding all the parts that are missing

yeah mate rb25det, was looking at the el'cheapo ebay plenums, was warned about the shitty casting (which doesnt really worry me as i was gonna clean it up anyway) but the bad fitting you mentioned has me worried now :rolleyes:

might try and find a good 2nd hand 1

i realy need to get off my arse and buy myself a 33 halfcut

ill be using a greddy plenum, but only cos my mate has one sitting in his shed

as for the dash, i would hack the 33 cluster to get it fit, minimal bracketing etc, jus get it in there to get yourself driving then build up a new cluster, use the datsun one but get aftermarket gauges that fit in, as the money comes in buy a new gauge, mount it properly once the cluster is full / got what you want in it, wire it in

thats how i would do it

Edited by SHM17Y