IGNORED

Will a 510 5-speed bolt up to a 240Z?

regularjoe

Hey, I'm old and you are stressing my memory brain cells :) I think it was a seventy two. I bought it from a auto x racer and it came with a bunch of spares, so I am assuming that it fit the 510 but not sure. I will have my engine out next week sometime to check but wether or not I can use the 5-speed effects what rear diff I choose to keep, etc.

thanks,

Regular Joe

I would be willing to bet it is a 280 trans (most popular 510 trans swap) so you should be good to go :) The only thing you may need to check is shifter location and then of course get the right flywheel, fork, T/O and driveshaft to match.

I also have a 72 510 :) The 510 didn't have a 5 speed until the it came back in the late 70's

That's not a 280 or a 200SX trans. Wrong type of shifter. Are you sure it's a 5 speed? Looks like a type A trans. Stock vs. stock a 510 trans is shorter than an S30 trans.

It is longer than the other one I have in the 510 pile and I can engage six notches when I shift the pattern. I tried searching 'trans identification' and such for Datsuns but came up with very little.

What is a type "A"?

Regular Joe

It's a Type A, yes. (Refers to the early style shift linkage.) But it's not a standard 240Z Type A (speedo cable wrong side, plus the bell housing is integral), not does it appear to be the Type A 5 speed (similar visual reasons). 'Twould be interesting to open it up and see what's inside!

Will it bolt up to a 240Z?
Looks like it might. But I don't have any idea if the length is correct, nor if the 240Z driveshaft will slide in. If you want, send it to me and I'll be happy to try and give it an extended test!

The trans is 31 inches tip to tail.

I just measured a long shaft dog leg five speed and it as well measures 31". Soooo length and maybe driveline length shouldn't be an issue and shifter placement should be good.

Now against a tranny in your 510 pile just check bell housing bolt spacing and orientation (because some applications tipped the engine some) and pull your driveline and count splines on your tail shaft. One thing I love about Datsuns is that they standardized many many things one model to the next.