Arne

Mylar logo'd sunshades - Completed

Here's the final count:  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Here's the final count:

• [b]240-Z[/b]
    • [b]280-Z[/b]
    • [b]DATSUN[/b]

At this point, just cross your fingers or whatever you do for luck. If we all can be patient, I think we'll get there. I have payment in hand now for 30 of the required 60. I have updates from buyers of another 11 telling me their checks are either in the mail or will be very shortly. If that happens, I think I can cover the remainder and will place the order. I also have inquiries on an additional 8, but no payment or payment status on those yet.

Still at 50%. Third day in a row with no checks in the mail. We're so close, but can't seem to make the final burst. Dang!

Received payment for 5 more today, up to 58%. Probably need another 5 paid in advance to proceed. We're finally getting close.

Well, we're very close, still holding at 37 paid for (61%). No payments since the 27th.

I've got names and reservations for 6 more people, 10 more sunshades. Three of the six have indicated some time back that they would be sending their checks "soon". The other three I have heard only the sound of crickets chirping in the distance.

So I guess I'm saying - if a few of you folks who have expressed an interest in these at some point in the process would break down and send a check, we'd be there. Not naming names, but I got to admit that this lack of follow-through is disappointing.

Well, I/we have been waiting on payments now for a month. While we are very close, I still need 3-4 more pre-paid before the amount left over is low enough that I feel I can pay the difference and have that amount tied up for the 8-12 weeks that I suspect it will take to sell off the unsold items. No new payments have arrived since the middle of last week, despite the fact that several people still have out-standing reservations.

Frankly, I'm more than a little discouraged and irritated, and am THIS close to calling the whole thing off.

I will be contacting (again) the people who have previously expressed an interest but not yet paid. But it all comes down to this—if we can't get payment for AT LEAST 3 more by this time next week, the jig is up. :mad:

It's a go! I have contacted the manufacturer to place the order. Will be cashing all the checks shortly. I was told earlier to expect 3-4 weeks from this point. Status updates as they are available.

Thanks, Arne, I appreciate your patience and waiting so long for the numbers to add up. Sorry not everyone came through as expected.

For those of you who have not yet sent a check, please do so soon, as I will be laying my plans to sell off the unsold ones immediately after I get the pre-paid units shipped.

The order has been placed, with the required setup deposit.

Also, there are currently eight (8) '240-Z' and two (2) 'DATSUN' sunshades still available. The rest are all pre-paid.

The order and initial deposit have been received and confirmed by the manufacturer. Next milestone will be paper mockups sent to me for test fitting prior to running the real items.

As of today, I have received payment from all people who indicated an interest save two. One of the two is still pending me working out international payment and shipping. The other hasn't replied since late September, so I'm going to consider that sunshade to be available.

That means I will have two DATSUN and six 240-Z still available, so if you haven't gotten in yet, there's still time.

Status as of today:

Item | 240-Z | DATSUN | Total |
-------------------------------------------
Ordered | 40 | 20 | 60 |
Paid for | 34 | 18 | 52 |
Pending | 0 | 0 | 0 |
Available | 6 | 2 | 8 |

A small delay on the production side. The manufacturer believes that the die he still has marked "240Z" is mis-marked. So I am going to (following his instructions) build a new paper template from my car, and will have to mail that to him before pre-production fitting tests can proceed. I will be creating the new template this evening, but figure this will probably add 7-10 days to the process.

Status as of today (11/25/09):

Ordered | 40 | 20 | 60 |
Paid for | 34 | 18 | 52 |
Pending | 2 | 2 | 4 |
Available | 4 | 0 | 4 |

Got word today that the paper template/mockups are on their way to me for test fitting and final pre-production approval. Will post pictures once I get them.

Today's status:

Ordered | 40 | 20 | 60 |
Paid for | 34 | 20 | 54 |
Pending | 2 | 0 | 2 |
Available | 4 | 0 | 4 |

Status today(12/1/09):

Ordered | 40 | 20 | 60 |
Paid for | 34 | 20 | 54 |
Pending | 3 | 0 | 3 |
Available | 3 | 0 | 3 |

Thanks Arne! These are definitely old school cool :cool:
Very true. I strongly suspect that this will probably be the final period-style mod for my car. Not to say there won't be other more modern mods hidden underneath (like the R-T diff mount I plan to install soon), but I've tried to keep all the visible changes period-correct.

Today's trivia. I was conversing with the owner of the company who makes these about the font or typeface used. We have been discussing how closely the original typeface can be duplicated. Here's an interesting tidbit, not just referring to the font used for the 240Z or Datsun sunshades, but all of the originals.

"...were hand cut stencils from fonts used by Pete Brock at the BRE shop."

Now that he brought that to my attention, it's obvious. Compare the '4' in the 240-Z original sunshade to the numbers (46) on Ron Carter's BRE re-creation. I wonder if Pete now has electronic versions of that font, and if so, what it would take to be able to get use of it for these?

attachment.php?attachmentid=32414&stc=1&d=1256617903

P1010018.JPG

Test fitting the pre-production mockups is underway. There will need to be some minor tweaks to the shape of the template, based on my tests. And as mentioned in the previous post, the font/typeface has not been finalized yet.

post-8596-14150809178383_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150809178684_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150809178884_thumb.jpg

Yes - looks like they need more curve.. so they don't wrinkle.. The DATSUN needs more of a curve to it..

I thought you said the type face/font would be just like the originals...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I thought you said the type face/font would be just like the originals...
Yes, Carl, I did. That was before we found that some of the original stencils were missing. So we are working on that now. On Friday I sent a message to info@bre2.net to inquire about the use of the original BRE font. No reply yet, but it's the weekend. If you've got any influence with Peter and Gayle, it might help. ;)