IGNORED

L24 Engine Vin Question

Bulldog Z

I just bought an L24 engine for a spare to build for my 73 240Z. The engine I bought has the vin number 187769. I thought this number was very high for an L24 engine. The engine also came with an automatic transmission as well. Would the auto trans have anything to do with the high vin number?

Brad Richards

I dont think that an auto trans would have anything to do with it but my 73 is matching #'s an the serial # is 129971, and the engine # is 136047, they made 240's up until serial number 172732 so its possible you bought a very late engine

According to the zhome.com registry, engine number L24-187226 and L24-188157 are both in 7/73 cars, so your engine probably also came from a 7/73 car. The automatic transmission wouldn't have anything to do with it, since automatics were available in US cars starting around mid 1970.

-Mike