IGNORED

Upgrade from fusible links to circuit breakers

FastWoman

Hey, I finished with this (not so) little project! :)

Here are a few pics. I'm sorry I didn't detail the whole process, but I'm not going to handle any of my cameras with dirty hands.

Here are the two MaxiFuse blocks. I think they look pretty nice.

280zengine01.jpg

Here's how I mounted them to the relay box. I used two rails of 1/4" aluminum edge trim:

280zengine08.jpg

Two more views of the boxes:

280zengine02.jpg

Note the black epoxy paint on the vacuum bottle. It doesn't look quite as sickly this way.

280zengine06.jpg

Here's a view of the wiring harness. Note the extra branch, which goes to the headlight relays. (The relays work great, BTW, just as I sketched out.)

280zengine07.jpg

I know what y'all are thinking. You're probably thinking I need to put a bit more color under the hood to jazz things up a bit. I'll consider it. ;)

After a job well done :beer: We decided to go out in our powerboat to have a sunset dinner on the water. Our transmission went belly up. We had it rebuilt only 3 years ago. A kind soul dragged us back to dock. Next project... :cry:

FOLLOW-UP: It wasn't the transmission. Yea! It was something jamming up the propeller shaft but not anything obvious like a rope wrapped around it. Sort of fortunate that it happened, because we discovered that both of our anodes had rotted away. (Replacing anodes while holding one's breath is quite an adventure!)

Edited by FastWoman

• 11 months later...

Sara, Dave, Randy and all contributors thank you all for your indepth research. It seems that the maxifuse if the way to go when replacing the oem boxes. Now, do the fusible link problem could be the cause for the backfiring when you rev the engine? I runs great while on idle but soon as you rev the engine backfires and goes powerless. I search for other threads on this site, I seen it before, where they are discussing this problem.

Best regards

Carlos

Now, do the fusible link problem could be the cause for the backfiring when you rev the engine? I runs great while on idle but soon as you rev the engine backfires and goes powerless.

I can't see how the electrical power distribution system (fuseable links) is in any way related to a backfiring problem.

Sara, Dave, Randy and all contributors thank you all for your indepth research. It seems that the maxifuse if the way to go when replacing the oem boxes. Now, do the fusible link problem could be the cause for the backfiring when you rev the engine? I runs great while on idle but soon as you rev the engine backfires and goes powerless. I search for other threads on this site, I seen it before, where they are discussing this problem.

Best regards

Carlos

vacume advance

• 5 years later...

Before installing relays for the headlamps and fog/spot lamps,  I reconsidered the fusible links. Since I think the fusible cartridges are the most appropriate substitute for the fusible links,  I'd start by looking for a cartridge holder that can carry 4 or 6 cartridges.  Is there such a thing?  I think it wouldn't look too blingy in an older car.

BTW-  I still haven't found a reasonable spec for the amperage of the Brown fusible links...