IGNORED

BRE-style air dam for a 280Z?

efhjr

I've never been crazy about the blocky air dams sold for the 280Zs. I've always preferred the blade-like air dams, like the ones BRE used on their 240Zs.

Check out this picture. It's from a 1976 issue of Hot Rod magazine, and it depicts a '76 280Z with a BRE-style air dam. So I know they were once available for the 280Z.

Anybody know where I can get one?

post-3540-14150807835211_thumb.jpg

We sell the 280Z BRE style spoiler and even though it is no in our site yet it is the one in your photo. They cost $185 plus shipping and have the ducts just like your photo and fit the later much rounder lower valance of the 280Zs.

Les 760-940-6365

We sell the 280Z BRE style spoiler and even though it is no in our site yet it is the one in your photo. They cost $185 plus shipping and have the ducts just like your photo and fit the later much rounder lower valance of the 280Zs.

Les 760-940-6365

That's good to know!

Do you sell a spoiler that does not have the ducts?

x2

I might be in the market for a air dam soon.

I am sorry but at this point I only have the one shown on the yellow car in the earlier post but I plan to see if there would be enought market for some 280 fiberglass items and maybe Carl can be talked into loaning his spoiler for a mold. I personally preferr ducts as the brake cooling is an important part for me and I like functional parts. I have one 280 Ducted spoiler in stock at this time. Thanks

Les

I guess it's a personal preference thing. I really prefer the ducted version, by quite a bit. For me it has nothing to do with the brake cooling, but just looks. The non-ducted just looks so plain, to me. And the curves and shapes around the ducts (especially when color-matched) are just fun to look at.

I like them in a contrasting colour - I just got a BRE non ducted for my 240. It came in black and I think I will leave it that colour as well as the rear spoiler.

I like the look of the 280 in the picture but it also has a fender package and a rear spoiler that add to the look. Don't think I would go that far.

I ran my spook black for the first year. Looked fine. But I prefer color-matched, especially for the ducted version. The non-ducted works well visually in black, maybe better than color. IMO, of course. YMMV.

• 7 months later...

I just noticed that Motorsport is selling a BRE-style air dam in fiberglass or carbon fiber. I'm seriously considering one of the fiberglass dams.

How much work is it to install one of these? I'd imagine it involves some measuring and drilling.

I just noticed that Motorsport is selling a BRE-style air dam in fiberglass or carbon fiber. I'm seriously considering one of the fiberglass dams.

How much work is it to install one of these? I'd imagine it involves some measuring and drilling.

Test-fitting, clamping, positioning, patience. I used body work vice grips and c-clamps to test fit and position. My dad helped me position it and hold it. It definitely helps to have a friend/helper.

I trimmed mine in a couple spots to get it just where I wanted it. I bought some M6 black oxide bolts, nuts, and fender washers from ACE Hardware. It's dark outside and I can't remember how many but I'm thinking I have 6 or 7 bolts for the mounting. I drilled the holes and bolted it up. It wasn't perfectly flush with the clamps but the bolts pulled it flush to the valance. It's not going anywhere and it made a noticeable difference in freeway manners. It feels more composed and less prone to wander or wind influence. It's hard to describe if you've never added a front spoiler. Pics are in My Z Photos

:beer:

I have to agree on the improvement of a front spoiler. i got lucky and found a servicable one at a junkyard

I cleand it up and bolted it on (involved drilling) and it no longer has front lifting issues past about 85mph. can go past 100 and steering is still responsive.

downside is clearance. I've crunched the spoiler when parking 3 times already. at least it is fiberglass and thus repairable.

post-17003-14150810316559_thumb.jpg