IGNORED

~My first Z~

After months of researching Z cars and hunting on Craigslist for them, I finally went out and bought a 1976 280z for $1850. :) So I also thought it'd be time to register here instead of just browsing here all the time.

So far all the car needs to become a daily driver for me is new exhaust and rear brakes. The old one is very rusty and the muffler had fallen off(Sounds like a tank without the muffler). It also needs new rear drums and rear wheel cylinder. I hopping to take care of all that in the next few weeks as the parts arrive. Then just a few little things like side mirrors and a rear view mirror to make it street legal here in WA.

Here's the exhaust system I'm ordering.

MSA Premium Exhaust System

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PEC27/15-6304

Despite the exhaust rust the rest of the body is nearly rust free. Even the typical rust areas for Zs are fine. The interior is pretty bad but nothing a carpet and dash kit won't fix. All the gauges work including the clock. It's a strong runner and shifts great. Looks like one of the past owners took out the stock 4 speed and added a 5 speed though.

Right now the car is just primer but I'm hoping to get it painted in the near future. Sadly the stock paint code is unreadable. Is there any way to tell what the stock paint color was with the vin number or any other numbers found on the car?

Currently the glove box is locked and I don't have the key. The previously owner said he never got it open either. What's the best way to get it open without breaking the lock (if that's even possible). I'm hopping there's a key code in there so I can go get a copy made.

280z.jpg

One of the past owner also installed that body kit, I'm unsure if I'll keep it on there and touch up one bad area or try and find some stock bumpers for it. I'll get some more pictures sometime next week. This one was off my phone so it lacks quality.

Thanks for reading my intro, glad to see there's lots of people from Wa here.

Welcome!

Looks like you did pretty well, be sure to check under the body kit, they were used to hide issues as well as dress up a car.

Be sure to joing your local Z club, and if you are near the border, watch out for our Oregonian members-they have their own parts delivery network, and altogethere too good of a time!!

On the Paint-the vin won't tell you, so your best bet is to look under some of the interior pieces for original paint on the inside of the body.

On the Glove box, drive to a lock smith and let them pick it, then rekey it to your ignition key.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments so far. I ended up getting the exhaust on last Thursday and plan to do the brakes in the next coming days.

07-03-2009 06:00 PM

hls30.com

Welcome!

Looks like you did pretty well, be sure to check under the body kit, they were used to hide issues as well as dress up a car.

Be sure to joing your local Z club, and if you are near the border, watch out for our Oregonian members-they have their own parts delivery network, and altogethere too good of a time!!

On the Paint-the vin won't tell you, so your best bet is to look under some of the interior pieces for original paint on the inside of the body.

On the Glove box, drive to a lock smith and let them pick it, then rekey it to your ignition key.

Will

Ended up finding a crushing yard that was parting out a 77' 280z and got a good deal for a new glove box, along with a lot of other items my car was missing (Rear view mirror, some emblems, ect.) I'll check under the body kit next time I'm working on it that for the heads up on them being used to hide problems.

I definitely join the Z-car club of WA, them seem very active and have multiple events monthly. Just need to get me Z drivable first.

07-03-2009 06:08 PM

Inf

Welcome

My 2 cents: ditch the body kit ASAP.

I totally agree, it looks hideous. I'm thinking of getting a front air dam then buying a 240z front and rear bumper. I want to get a front air dam that isn't made out of fiberglass though. Does anyone know the going rate for a 240z front and rear bumper? So far on Craigslist two different people have offered to sell me the front bumper for $150, but I can't find any internet sites that sell them so I could compare prices.