IGNORED

Hello All

Since I just acquired a 1973 240Z I thought I would go on line to learn more about them. I found this site and another and have joined both in the hopes I can learn as much about my Z car as I know about my other vehicles. OK, so you are probably saying "what are the other vehicles?" I have Ford trucks. A 1984 F-150, a 1999 F-150, a 2002 F-350 and a 2006 F-150. I am restoring the 84. My friend gave me this 240Z. I don't have a lot of details other than it has a few rust spots. When I saw it last (several years ago) I told him that if he wanted to get rid of it I was claiming right of first refusal. So it's mine. I have always wanted this car since I saw the first one when I lived in Japan in 1974. Now that I have one I want to build a serious powerhouse for it. Looking for suggestions, tips, ideas, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott:

Quite a switch from an F-350 to a 240Z!! Nonetheless I'm sure you will love driving the Z.

If you are talking "serious powerhouse" I hope the other site you joined is hybridZ.org

Lot of information and help here related to the Classic Z Cars... With Gasoline on its way back toward $4.00 or $6.00 per gallon - you might want to consider keeping that L24 and going for serious MPG's... and leave the POWER in the F-350

FWIW,

Carl B.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the acquisition. The majority of the users on this site have stuck with the L6 in one form or another (L24, L26, L28), but there are many exceptions and lots of options. If you were to take the L28 as far as it could go without forced injection, you might be able to squeeze 300+ HP out of it but it will be VERY expensive. Forced injection will get you there and more for less money, but most people looking for a "serious powerhouse" typically go another route. Depending on how far you want to go, you may need to do things like stiffening up the unibody, diff, diff mount, half shafts and stub axles.