IGNORED

73 240z easiest way to run return line for fuel

yetterben

Getting hot here lately and want to have a constant fresh fuel supply. Was thinking about plumbing a return line in. Whats the best way to go about this? anyone have pics?

Also what are people doing with the overflow lines with itgs air cleaners and such. Dont like the idea of gas possibly coming out on the headers. Currently there is two lines teed together run in front of the radiator if it where to overflow.

I'm not sure what you're current setup is but the stock setup included a return line in the stock fuel rail, and piping to the rear of the car and the tank. If this has been removed, it shouldn't be too hard to add back in. If the piping is still in place, you should be able to find the engine side of the piping on the right frame rail near the lower radiator mount.

All 240Zs came with a return line from the factory.

Not all. The earliest North American cars didn't have return fuel lines. Other markets with different emissions requirements may not have had them either.

-Mike

Doesn't the fuel rail on #32 double back to a return line, Mike? I could have sworn it did.

You are right Arne. I was confusing one of the emissions lines with the return fuel line. Ignore my comment above.

-Mike

correct the line comes in on the rail then there is a distro block with line going back. I just did not know how effective it is. My carbs are getting hot as sin with the header i have. No vapor lock no driving issues and i have a 280 hood. Just wanted to make sure i had a nice fresh flow of fuel in and out. I added a electric pump from a old rx7 i had here in the rear to boost flow.

Plan for the car is to turn it into a period correct racer with full factory trim inside. I want it to look the part and drive as well :) is there a factory race prep manual for the z? i have one here for my 79 rx7 :) its kinda cool to see the 79 way of thinking for ducting custom air cleaner boxes peripheral porting the 12a etc etc.

Thought maybe there would be one for the z :)

Regardless thanks guys.

If your coolant lines to the carb/manifold are disconnected, you might try hooking them back up to maintain an even temp. This will help carry the excess heat away from the carbs. Many people disconnected them perhaps thinking it was an emissions thing including the PO of my car. This is on my list of things to do.

correct the line comes in on the rail then there is a distro block with line going back. I just did not know how effective it is. My carbs are getting hot as sin with the header i have. No vapor lock no driving issues and i have a 280 hood. Just wanted to make sure i had a nice fresh flow of fuel in and out. I added a electric pump from a old rx7 i had here in the rear to boost flow.
If you are talking about the line on the left side of the car, that's not the return line. The real return line is on the other side of the car, comes up right next to the fuel supply. The supply goes to the filter and then the pump on its way to the carbs, the return line connects directly to the small tube on the fuel rail.