IGNORED

2.8 in a 240, which timing chain setup?

240ZGL

Here's my situation, my daily driver has a smog problem and won't pass smog so it's time for it to go. I have about a month left on my tags. I'm going to pull my 73 240 out ( been collecting parts for it to do a total resto) and put it on the road. I have to get hold of a short block to get it running so I figure I'll get a 280 out of the junkyard. I have a fresh E-88 ready to go on. I will do gaskets and seals, timing gear set, oil pump on it. Do I use a 280 timing gear set ? Do I use the 280 timing cover ? Will a 240 distributor work with a 280 timing cover and oil pump. Thanks

The 280 and 240 timing cover are identical, everything works.....240 Z distributor requires spacer bracket that attaches between distributor base and timing cover (get it off of used 240Z front cover) or from ZBARN.COM. The distributor shaft, cam sprocket,oil pump etc. are all interchangeable.

Check with Motorsports or whoever you order the timing chain kit from......there is a different part number for 280 versus 240, but I couldn't find anything different. When I asked the difference they said one of the chain guides was slightly different, but I still couldn't see a difference when I compared the new kits.( I was building a 240 and 280 at the time.) Guy

Edited by Diseazd