IGNORED

New guy, old Z

Hi, everyone! I thought I would introduce myself. I just acquired my father-in-law's all original '73 240Z, 62,000 miles. HLS30-143430. He bought it new and drove it until 1980. It's been sitting in his garage ever since. He recently sold his house and is moving into an assisted living home, so the car is now in my garage! I plan on getting it running again with the help from your excellent website.

I'm hoping it doesn't need too much to get it going. It was parked with no issues...he just quit using it. It has NO rust, the body is in excellent shape with just a small dent in the driver's door. the interior is in excellent condition. I assume I'll need to rebuild the carbs, clean the gas tank and fuel lines.....and I hope that's about it. The silver paint is a bit faded, so I'll probably get it painted, too. Once I take a closer look at everything, I'm sure I'll find other things that need fixing, but all in all it looks like it should be a relatively easy restoration. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting started, and I thank you in advance for answering my questions. :)

Welcome!

Congrats on the new (old) car! It sounds like a nice example. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Yes, a carb rebuild would be an order with the car sitting for over 20 years. Basically anything in contact with liquids should be addressed.

Hi Bruce:

See

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22619&highlight=Waking+Sleeping

My Post #8

Sitting for 30 years, you'll need a lot more than clean fuel. You can plan on brake master and rear wheel cylinders, Clutch Master and Slave. All coolant hoses, rubber fuel lines, most likely rubber brake lines. It is likely that the front brake calipers will need to be rebuilt as well.

Depending on how it was stored - you may find dry rot carpet as well. If it still has it's original 73 Flat Top Carb.'s you can expect other problems with them.

Take your time... the car is well worth saving and can be a very enjoyable car to drive or show..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Don't forget about inspecting your fuel lines in the rear hatch area. You will need to remove two pieces of interior panels to get to it but could and will save challanges on down the road. It really easy to drop the gas tank out and have it cleaned as well.

Good luck - it's really a great adventure oh, by the way, go ahead a put a small refrig in the garage with your favorite beverage, it's turned out to be one of my favorite rooms in the house now.;)

Hi Bruce:

See

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22619&highlight=Waking+Sleeping

My Post #8

Sitting for 30 years, you'll need a lot more than clean fuel. You can plan on brake master and rear wheel cylinders, Clutch Master and Slave. All coolant hoses, rubber fuel lines, most likely rubber brake lines. It is likely that the front brake calipers will need to be rebuilt as well.

Depending on how it was stored - you may find dry rot carpet as well. If it still has it's original 73 Flat Top Carb.'s you can expect other problems with them.

Take your time... the car is well worth saving and can be a very enjoyable car to drive or show..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks, Carl. I hope to get a better assesment of everything today. I'm planning on getting it outside and washing the engine compartment, etc. and then taking some notes. I'm not too worried about dry rot. This car has lived all it's life in either Arizona or Nevada...both very low humidity.

Don't forget about inspecting your fuel lines in the rear hatch area. You will need to remove two pieces of interior panels to get to it but could and will save challanges on down the road. It really easy to drop the gas tank out and have it cleaned as well.

Good luck - it's really a great adventure oh' date=' by the way, go ahead a put a small refrig in the garage with your favorite beverage, it's turned out to be one of my favorite rooms in the house now.;)[/quote']

I already have a BIG fridge in the garage, and a stereo! I live out there, too! I have an old Suzuki motorcycle ('78 GS1000) that I'm rebuilding/restoring, and I also rebuild the old inline-4 carbs for people.

I'll get a few pics up today of the old girl. Thanks again for the nice welcome and info. :classic: