IGNORED

Grinding from rear

The temptation to make a totally unhelpful comment but one that I would think outrageously funny is almost too great.

Suggest that you get it on hoist and look for any play or movement. Sometimes the solutions to these problems are just a process of elimination, starting with the most obvious first - lets face it the cars are 30 plus years old so any replacement of parts even if seemingly unnecessary is probably not wasted. My guess bearing.

anyone sell loaded hubs? i also gave the right rear tire a tug at the top it has some slop in it. Could this be u joint slack or for sure a wheel bearing. I am just dreading the wb on these cars argh.......

Edited by yetterben

Spider gears would be my bet. Ring and pinion makes noise when you're going straight. Spider gears only when turning. U joints in my experience make noise on accel and decel. Wheel bearings sometimes make noise when turning, sometimes you can tell which side bearings are going by swerving back and forth like in a slalom. Grinding though sounds like spider gears to me, not U-joints which are usually more of a repetitive clunk.

yeah tonight it started doing it in 1-3rd goign straight as well. Its now kinda a loud hum/grind. When i changed my diff fluid i took a peak inside threw the plug and did not see any major wear but cant see much threw that. I did have some fuzzies on my drain plug though.

it also stops as soon as i press clutch in.

Guess i might have to find a new dif.

where is a good place to score a 180?

Edited by yetterben