IGNORED

$10,000 for a Series2, not #s Matching?

adamr

I have located an almost pristine 71. The body is acutally perfect-literally. underhood, too. No shortcuts, bondo, etc. Where there was rust, it was properly cut out. its that good. It is far and away the best body I've seen. The owner had the car done and has over 30,000 in receipts (I've seen them, too). Chrome, perfect, tires and wheels perfect. It is white with blue interior.

The bad- un original issues (though there were done well). It has had the door panels redone VERY well, but not original. Has installed remote door locks and an aftermarket stereo. He has a very professionally installed amp, and had the speakers mounted in the tool compatments (yes, they were cut). Nice job. Car has 15" slots (I think MSA offered these a while back. Car was lowered. Most unfortunately, not a numbers matching. It is an adult driven and garaged Z. I am convinced that if it had the original motor, it could fetch b/w 14-18000. Maybe more. Given what little description I've given, what say you?

Thanks,

Adamr

Edited by adamr

Matching numbers is great - if you have them. For a non-concours car my personal feeling is that it doesn't really matter all that much. If you are looking for a car that you can drive and enjoy, this sounds like a great find to me.

I agree with Arne and Big Oak. The way the Canadian dollar is going, I'd be tempted to make a vacation in Texas and buy that rust free 71. Numbers matching would be nice, but if you're looking for a fun ride for recreational driving and not a show car to invest in, I don't see how you can lose.

For me, not having a numbers matching - although a factor- would not be a deal breaker. I guess what I'm saying, FWIW, is that 10K for a rust free, well maintained 240z, with 30K plus invested, notwithstanding the numbers not matching sounds like a bargain to me.

If you do buy it, please post pics of the speaker boxes mounted in the tool compartments. I'm partial to the cubbies, but curious as to how speakers in them might look.

Good luck with your Z shopping and "enjoy the ride".